Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By rickyross
  • 4 Post By civil_servant
  • 1 Post By Mefisto

Euro lawmakers press EU to impose visas on U.S. citizens

Closed Thread

Euro lawmakers press EU to impose visas on U.S. citizens

In short, the US has failed to provide visa-free travel to 5 EU countries: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland, Romania and as a response the European Commission has passed a non-binding resolution to end visa-free travel for all Americans.

It's not final and it's not a response to Trump.

Euro lawmakers press EU to impose visas on U.S. citizens | Reuters

civil_servant likes this.

Oh great. Trump will just end visa free travel for all other Europeans if they do that. But let's face it.. Nobody actually has visa free travel any more anyway. You still have to apply for an ETA (which is practically a visa) so what's the problem?

Is this the evil EU that doesn't care about its citizens?

Serves them right. US immigration is ridiculous. I rather pay more money for direct flights to Canada, then go through the hassle of what is US immigration. Spent enough time on borders in Eastern Europe in the good 'ol cold war days. No need to go through that anymore.

shri, rickyross, hullexile and 1 others like this.

US immigrations are crazy ridiculous, but instead of denying regular US citizens visa, it should be US officials who should be denied Visa free travel.

a friend of mine who happens to be a software engineer with clients in US and previous travels to US was denied entry on a visit because immigration officer felt that he will overstay.. god dam you idiots, he didn't overstay when he had a chance in his previous travels.

Why not include regular citizens? They voted for tougher immigration. It's also a kick in the butt for those that abstained from voting. Voting matters.

I once was detained on the US of A border for 2 hours. I was travelling for work, so was prepared (and hoping for) to be kicked out. No such luck. The worst thing had actually happened - after detaining me for 2 hours they let me in without asking a single question. As a result I missed my connection flight and had to loiter in the airport for like 14 hours - this is after travelling for 24 hours before that! Fun fun fun

This will entertain you IT types... Tougher questions and no access to stack or Google.

https://qz.com/921995/trumps-america...-enter-the-us/

There is an article on the register which is a bit more sad and entertaining...

One of the threads on some forum or the other included a suggestion for EU officials to ask US govt employees questions about human rights blah, blah...

All getting very messy... But then from what I have heard, just the beginning of things.

Being eligible for the Visa Waver is based on a low refusal rate for non-immigrant visas for any given country. The Immigration and Nationality Act set's the limit at 3% for the previous fiscal year.
    The refusal rates of those 5 countries are:
    Bulgaria: ~17%
    Croatia: ~5%
    Cyprus: ~3.5%
    Poland: ~6%
    Romania: ~11%

For comparison China's refusal rate was 10%. Going by those numbers only Cyprus has a realistic chance.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    You still have to apply for an ETA (which is practically a visa) so what's the problem?
    Only for air travel. If you just drive over from Canada for a quick trip it really is visa free.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Why not include regular citizens? They voted for tougher immigration. It's also a kick in the butt for those that abstained from voting. Voting matters.
    The type of ignorami that voted for Herr Drumpf are unlikely to have ever seen a passport. Some may not even know what a passport is.

Requiring a visa for all US citizens would therefore mostly inconvenience the more open-minded and better informed sections of Americans.

Sometimes it's better not to respond in kind.

OTOH I wouldn't object to a specific "surcharge" collected from all visitors from the US if the funds could be somehow be channelled to those US-bound EU citizens from the countries singled out by the Trump regime. Or how about a random anal probing in the same ratio as EU visitors to the US are subjected to.

Scorpio01 likes this.