Like Tree18Likes

Trump Care - Will it pass?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Looks like they postponed the votes - and surprisingly no market jitters.
    I don't see this to be really affecting insurers at all. The ACA does not really require insurer's to do anything that is totally out of the scope of their interests. It is a bit like the EU carbon surcharge for flights - if all carriers have to pay it, then your business might grow a tiny bit slower, but it does not distort the market. The changes that trumpcare is going to bring - no more individual mandate, permission to remove certain coverages like maternity from plans, and replacing the individual mandate with a penalty for coverage gaps - look to me largely like a zero sum game from an insurer’s perspective. The significant change is the medicaid expansion, and the tax laws.

Biggest reason though that this would not affect any stock markets - the current bill is DOA in the Senate. They lost votes on the far right and on the moderate side. I start thinking that this whole thing is just for show. They don’t have a viable plan, they know it, and they rather keep the ACA in place as a devil’s effigy. Just gotta make it look like they tried.
    shri likes this.

Trump demands Friday vote on health care plan - POLITICO

President Donald Trump is demanding a vote Friday in the House on the Republican plan to repeal and replace Obamacare, White House budget director Mick Mulvaney told GOP lawmakers. If the bill fails, Trump is prepared to move on and leave Obamacare in place, Mulvaney warned.

Original Post Deleted
    I've looked but its not easy to find & determine which country has best health care for the poor...
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I've looked but its not easy to find & determine which country has best health care for the poor...
    And your poor might be my rich.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Not sure if that is supposed to be a joke or not - but USA and its healthcare is generally regarded to be one of the best in the world.
    Whether is Sloan Kettering, Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins and dozens more....If you have money, you head to USA.
    https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...t_surgery.html

So what's the point of "free" health care if you're not even willing to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by steve15182:
    So what's the point of "free" health care if you're not even willing to use it?
    Free healthcare (just like free schooling) is for everyone to benefit and to have a nice healthy society.
    If you are fortunate enough to have more $$$$ you can go private (in most countries).

I just saw this in another thread and its very apt - so worth pasting here:

Yes, USA has the best medical coverage money can buy but pray you never become disabled or suffer a career ending health issue mate, because USA won't give a fuck about you, should you become less fortunate than your coddled, uni educated, millennial life has privileged you so far..

You can tell most about a country's core values, by how it demonstratively looks after its old and is less fortunate.

All these rich Mexicans... Coming over here, paying through the nose for our ridiculously expensive healthcare! Fook off!

(Not sure why I'm reading that in a broad Yorkshire accent)

I just saw this in another thread and its very apt - so worth pasting here:

Yes, USA has the best medical coverage money can buy but pray you never become disabled or suffer a career ending health issue mate, because USA won't give a fuck about you, should you become less fortunate than your coddled, uni educated, millennial life has privileged you so far..

You can tell most about a country's core values, by how it demonstratively looks after its old and is less fortunate.
    Yes, read that most personal bankruptcies in the US are due to health issues. And most of those individuals were covered by health insurance when they got ill. Get ill, miss work, loose job, loose healthcare, go bankrupt. Totally sucks.

Free healthcare (just like free schooling) is for everyone to benefit and to have a nice healthy society.
    If you are fortunate enough to have more $$$$ you can go private (in most countries).
    Except free is not "free" and the gap between those that are fortunate and those that are not is what drives inequality in society.