US diplomat arrested for taking "cash and gifts" from Chinese intelligence

Closed Thread

US diplomat arrested for taking "cash and gifts" from Chinese intelligence

A US diplomat who allegedly took tens of thousands of dollars in cash and gifts from Chinese intelligence agents was charged on Wednesday with lying to investigators over the contacts.

The Department of Justice said Candace Marie Claiborne, 60, knew that the two Chinese men she had regular contact with while working for the US State Department in China and other countries were from the Chinese security services and that the money they gave her was in exchange for US secrets.

She took cash and an iPhone for herself, but most of the funds went to an unidentified man half her age with whom she lived in Beijing and Shanghai.

The Chinese agents paid for his fashion school tuition, apartment rental, a sewing machine, vacations, and other needs as requested by Claiborne, according to a complaint unveiled in the US federal district court in Washington, DC.
    She was a sugar mama lol!!

US diplomat arrested for getting cash and gifts from Chinese intelligence agents | South China Morning Post

Risk jail for an iPhone and tens of thousands of dollars? Doesn't sound too smart.

@rickyross - sugar mama? Are you sure? "his fashion school tuition"

(Ok, I'm guilty of stereotyping!)

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @rickyross - sugar mama? Are you sure? "his fashion school tuition"

(Ok, I'm guilty of stereotyping!)
    From what I know, some sugar daddies "sponsor" college tuition for young women, so no reason why it shouldn't happen the other way around. Normally sugar mamas don't involve espionage though...