• Rape

9 30.00%
  • Other

2 6.67%
  • Should Never be Used

19 63.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree46Likes

Is the use of the death penalty justified?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    All that chart shows is that the death penalty is not applied fast enough.
    So due process should not be followed if they are found guilty of a crime that is subject to the death penalty? Do we assume all such convictions are 100% sound to save money?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    So due process should not be followed if they are found guilty of a crime that is subject to the death penalty? Do we assume all such convictions are 100% sound to save money?
    But due process need not take decades
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Due process yes. 10 years to get to a final action.... no.

Never because the justice system (at least in all the countries that have the death penalty) is flawed. In the US the non-profit Innocence Project has cleared many sentenced to death in the 1980s/1990s using DNA evidence. So how many were executed who weren't guilty?

kimwy66, Skyhook and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Never, it is the mark of an uncivilised society IMHO. I have never once thought it was an appropriate sentence for any crime.
    While I agree with you I just wondered would it not even cross your mind in the case I referred to (and I won't link because it is just too harrowing). She is shown on video laughing while she ties a one year old upside down with legs apart, mouth taped to stop the screams, whipped mercilessly and her genitals mutilated. The video is called "The destruction of Daisy". Just one of several children she killed while an Australian man sold the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    While I agree with you I just wondered would it not even cross your mind in the case I referred to (and I won't link because it is just too harrowing). She is shown on video laughing while she ties a one year old upside down with legs apart, mouth taped to stop the screams, whipped mercilessly and her genitals mutilated. The video is called "The destruction of Daisy". Just one of several children she killed while an Australian man sold the videos.
    No, when I said it is never right, I genuinely meant it.

Nor do I feel comfortable with 'whole of life' sentences. Rehabilitation is possible, and where psychiatric disorders prevent that, then removal from society should be done with compassion.

I'm with Norway on this one, even when it comes to Anders Brevik, and I think other countries need to study their system, because it works.

Why Norway's prison system is so successful - Business Insider

No, when I said it is never right, I genuinely meant it.

Nor do I feel comfortable with 'whole of life' sentences. Rehabilitation is possible, and where psychiatric disorders prevent that, then removal from society should be done with compassion.

I'm with Norway on this one, even when it comes to Anders Brevik, and I think other countries need to study their system, because it works.

Why Norway's prison system is so successful - Business Insider
    Love Norway ! You're so right Kimmy .

Here's a little video of what you're talking about in regard to Norways approach to prisons ( start at the 4 minute 10 second mark for that), I watched this earlier last year, and the more I read about Norway, the more I admire them as a country.

I started the video a little earlier where, Hynrik Syse explains what he does. This falls back onto exactly what I believe is the RIGHT way that all western governments who are actively representative of the everyday person, should behave. The west could learn SOOOO much from Norway, if we ethically want to live within our means and make life for everybody, pleasant. All the while adopting a very proactive ( awesome public awareness ) sustainable approach ie being good custodians of their environment.

https://youtu.be/01mTKDaKa6Q?t=2m38s

Norway is the correct / ethical role model in my opinion.

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-04-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Due process yes. 10 years to get to a final action.... no.
    Many have cited Rape as needing capital punishment. The average sentence served is probably around 4--5 years with some as low as 2--3 yeas. Exhausting all possible avenues of appeal in 2-3 years before the state kills a person does seem like not allowing due process.

This would appear to be the crux of the issue. Some want the satisfaction of retribution.

If a person is dangerous and can not be rehabilitated than the should be removed from society.

Is the purpose of prison to punish, rehabilitate of a bit of both. Unfortunately the 'hang em high' approach ignores the need to rehabilitate.

Many have cited Rape as needing capital punishment. The average sentence served is probably around 4--5 years with some as low as 2--3 yeas. Exhausting all possible avenues of appeal in 2-3 years before the state kills a person does seem like not allowing due process.
    All that says is that the current penalty for rape is pathetically low. Given the psychological effects a rape can have, it's appalling.