Like Tree171Likes

Duterte (part 2)

Closed Thread
Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 35 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 51 ... LastLast

Yet Korea took back their waste in six WEEKS. Canada can't manage six YEARS.

The funniest Canadian argument was that their environmental laws prohibited the importation of waste so they couldn't possibly take their toxic waste back because it would damage their environment.

We shall see how irrelevant it all is when the 100 containers arrive rotting at the Canadian port. Perhaps dumped in Vancouver harbour?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Yet Korea took back their waste in six WEEKS. Canada can't manage six YEARS.

The funniest Canadian argument was that their environmental laws prohibited the importation of waste so they couldn't possibly take their toxic waste back because it would damage their environment.

We shall see how irrelevant it all is when the 100 containers arrive rotting at the Canadian port. Perhaps dumped in Vancouver harbour?
    IF which is a big one, Duterte actually follows up and tries to ship it back, it would not be dumped and the harbor and could easily be stopped if push came to shove. It takes a while to cross the pacific, everyone will see them coming. Duterte says a lot of thing and never met a microphone he didn't like so I'll believe it when I see it and it won't be an electoral issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    IF which is a big one, Duterte actually follows up and tries to ship it back, it would not be dumped and the harbor and could easily be stopped if push came to shove. It takes a while to cross the pacific, everyone will see them coming. Duterte says a lot of thing and never met a microphone he didn't like so I'll believe it when I see it and it won't be an electoral issue.
    I am sure push will not come to shove I am sure because the Canadians will find a way to back down (like Kuwait and the USA). Duterte tends to pick fights he can win. You think the Canadians will want a showdown over something where they are clearly in the wrong (like the Balangiga Bells and the USA?

The Canadian Embassy have said they are "strongly committed" to finding a solution, but then I would be if the alternative is loads of adult diapers being dumped on my doorstep

I am sure push will not come to shove I am sure because the Canadians will find a way to back down (like Kuwait and the USA). Duterte tends to pick fights he can win. You think the Canadians will want a showdown over something where they are clearly in the wrong (like the Balangiga Bells and the USA?

The Canadian Embassy have said they are "strongly committed" to finding a solution, but then I would be if the alternative is loads of adult diapers being dumped on my doorstep
    There's no doubt that Canada is in the wrong on this issue however as I said there appears to be political issues at play with the amendment of the Basel agreement being pushed and resisted by first world nations. Since the issue has been going on for a while, I won't hold my breath for an imminent resolution

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    There's no doubt that Canada is in the wrong on this issue however as I said there appears to be political issues at play with the amendment of the Basel agreement being pushed and resisted by first world nations. Since the issue has been going on for a while, I won't hold my breath for an imminent resolution
    Yes and the Americans said they couldn't return the Bells because it was against their law. They found a way. I am sure someone in Canada will find a solution.

Yes and the Americans said they couldn't return the Bells because it was against their law. They found a way. I am sure someone in Canada will find a solution.
    Yes eventually they should...

The Philippine response to Canada's "we are working on the full spectrum of issues and are strongly committed to dealing with this in a timely manner" (having done nothing for six years) is to paraphrase:

"Talking with you is pointless, just shift the stuff pronto". Actually it was a lot more terse than that.

First objective achieved though I think as the issue is all over the international media and nearly all of the coverage is negative towards Canada.

Original Post Deleted
    Reading the comments on Canadian sites most are blaming their own government for this. There are a few dickheads "let the Filipinos play in it" and the ignorant "they ordered it from us so why should we take it back now", "if they didn't want it why did they ask for it" - but you would get worse on a UK site.

Original Post Deleted
    Shit as a Brit I could be saying sorry for the rest of my life

Looks like it will be sorted. An official in the discussions said the sticking point was that Canada didn't want to pay for the shipping saying, reasonably, that it should be the company that shipped it. I have a feeling the government will decide to pay now.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/dut...dent-1.5108881

civil_servant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 35 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 51 ... LastLast