Like Tree20Likes

Excellent talk

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Excellent talk

"This is the age of protected feelings purchased at the cost of permanent infantilisation."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/24/o...?smid=fb-share

JAherbert, jgl, Galumbits and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    "This is the age of protected feelings purchased at the cost of permanent infantilisation."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/24/o...?smid=fb-share
    I don't know what's driving this, the internet giving the mic to the most extreme opinions and hence polarizing every debate, postmodernism, western culture in decline? Its definitely a problem though because civilized debate has always been the alternative to violence as a way to resolve disagreements, and we already start to see people resorting to violence because dialog has failed.

I really love Jordan Peterson's videos on this topic. He's extremely intelligent, but certainly not a fan of safe spaces and the rest just as a warning going in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urd0IK0WEWU
    HK_Katherine likes this.

It's also a cultural difference, like in Asia you can't really disagree with someone in public. I remember sitting at team meeting where no one agreed with what the manager said yet they said nothing, all left to the gweilos to talk for other people.

I also think education is to blame, in the country where MCQ is the rule, you are basically telling the kids that there is a wrong/right answer, therefore when it comes to debate they are completely unable to see the other person's point.

I also found people in continental Europe (ex UK) are happy to debate and disagree on different topics. Politics is a very sensible topic and a lot of people are very uncomfortable talking about it.

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    It's also a cultural difference, like in Asia you can't really disagree with someone in public. I remember sitting at team meeting where no one agreed with what the manager said yet they said nothing, all left to the gweilos to talk for other people.

I also think education is to blame, in the country where MCQ is the rule, you are basically telling the kids that there is a wrong/right answer, therefore when it comes to debate they are completely unable to see the other person's point.

I also found people in continental Europe (ex UK) are happy to debate and disagree on different topics. Politics is a very sensible topic and a lot of people are very uncomfortable talking about it.
    In the US almost everything is off topic these days. I mostly hide in the corner with Europeans and we have our political and philosophical debates. We keep it quiet though so as not to shock the Americans too much. This may be a northern California thing too.
    Plutark and HK_Katherine like this.

I get the impression that everybody thinks they are right about everything these days. And with the internet, its too easy to find others who agree with you and find evidence to support your views, without considering other perspectives. I've had people unfriend me because they disagree with what i say, leading to the echo chamber effect (for them at least).

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    I get the impression that everybody thinks they are right about everything these days. And with the internet, its too easy to find others who agree with you and find evidence to support your views, without considering other perspectives. I've had people unfriend me because they disagree with what i say, leading to the echo chamber effect (for them at least).
    It's a problem for sure. Let me offer a perspective from the other side of unfriending if I may. I've unfriended some people because they are just so freaking negative. The sky is falling, OMG Trump got elected, we're going to have world war 3. OMG Brexit. The masses are revolting. We're going to be underwater in 20 years. How could you bring children into such a terrible world.

I think there's not enough empathy on either side of the modern debates. The modern left doesn't seem to have enough empathy for the plight of the blue collar working classes, despite being 'left', and the right can be well, racist amongst other things.

Political correctness, no platforming etc. also prevents the two sides from having a reasonable debate which would normally help both of them moderate their extreme positions.

Nothing should be off topic if it's well debated between mature individual. Sadly rarely the case tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Nothing should be off topic if it's well debated between mature individual. Sadly rarely the case tho.
    Yeah I agree. That said if you read the essay James Damore was fired over it was well thought out and well intentioned. We don't live in such a rational world anymore sadly.

And yeah, clickbait articles are rarely well thought out. As an audience we fuel the extreme perspectives because they're more profitable than balanced ones.
    hullexile and Skyhook like this.

I've blocked two, both for posting links to extreme right posts. Sorry not going to debate with people who share racist shit.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I've blocked two, both for posting links to extreme right posts. Sorry not going to debate with people who share racist shit.
    What? You dont like discussing the finer points of Nazi ideology? How intolerant of you...
    hullexile likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast