Like Tree55Likes

US Mass Killings - Terrorism or Not or Both

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    I've posted this article a few times already, but people get really defensive.

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/10/2/...errorism-islam
    A fuller and much better&complete version here : Home Is Where the Hate Is - The Investigative Fund

Original Post Deleted
    Well it looks like I got what I asked for. In the chart you've posted, it says that there have been more fatalities as a result of Islamist terrorism than right-wing terrorism but in the chart @Markx posted, there have been more right-wing terrorist incidents.

So rather, the conclusion should be, there have been more right wing terrorist incidents but they result in less fatalities compared to Islamist terrorist attacks.

So white men with guns are still dangerous, but apparently not as dangerous as Islamic dudes with guns or trucks.

The question remains: why won't the media label right wing incidents what they are: terrorism? It's a good thing that those incidents result in less fatalities but its not an excuse to not label it as terrorism.

Quote Originally Posted by Markx:
    Thank you for your link. So Muslims are 1% of the US population, and are responsible for 62 incidents (carried out or foiled). Everybody else (i.e. 99% of the population) are responsible for 134 incidents (carried out or foiled). So Muslims are 45 times more likely than non-Muslims to initiate an incident.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/codK...ts_by_type.png

Although I don't know what kind of incidents are recorded in the figure. I think a figure with the number of people killed would be more informative.
    What I found interesting in that chart was the percentage of acts foiled. It is much much higher for Islamic labelled terrorists acts than the two others. I can't believe the Jihadist groups are easier for the intelligence services to infiltrate than the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    What I found interesting in that chart was the percentage of acts foiled. It is much much higher for Islamic labelled terrorists acts than the two others. I can't believe the Jihadist groups are easier for the intelligence services to infiltrate than the other two.
    I also found it interesting. I think the cops spy on Muslims more than they do on white dudes? After all, there are fewer and a greater proportion of them are terrorists, so it's comparatively easier?

There are 3.3 Million Muslims in the US, and there have been 62 incidents from 2008 to 2016. If each incident involves 3 people, we can conclude that 1 out of 150,000 Muslim is involved in an incident.

On the other hand, there are 197.7 Million white people in the US, and there have been 134 incidents by white people. If again we assume 3 people for each incident, we can conclude that 1 out of 4,400,000 white people is involved in an incident.
    Last edited by Markx; 09-11-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Well it looks like I got what I asked for. In the chart you've posted, it says that there have been more fatalities as a result of Islamist terrorism than right-wing terrorism but in the chart @Markx posted, there have been more right-wing terrorist incidents.

So rather, the conclusion should be, there have been more right wing terrorist incidents but they result in less fatalities compared to Islamist terrorist attacks.

So white men with guns are still dangerous, but apparently not as dangerous as Islamic dudes with guns or trucks.

The question remains: why won't the media label right wing incidents what they are: terrorism? It's a good thing that those incidents result in less fatalities but its not an excuse to not label it as terrorism.
    That would have been my guess. A white mass murderer would have a grudge with a particular person or small group of people, so try to kill those ones. A Muslim mass murderer has a grudge with humanity (including fellow Muslims), so would try to kill as many people as possible.

As for why the media doesn't label all incidents terrorism, see https://geoexpat.com/forum/84/thread...ml#post3535869

This cute picture belongs here:
    Name:  aa.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  58.4 KB

tf19 and Mefisto like this.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7