Like Tree19Likes

Big data meets Big Brother as China moves to rate its citizens

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

So are you saying that when I give a strongly-worded, passive aggressive 1 star rating for a restaurant on Facebook, there's a chance it might have some consequences?

Hmm...

Like all excellent sci-fi, Black Mirror is scarily prescient

muzzdang likes this.

It's going to be interesting to see people bragging about how big their score is. My score is bigger than yours!
    I bet this will be a criteria on dating website there. Sorry my parents only want people above that kind of score!

Am i the only one who thinks this may be a good idea? I remember there was an app created before where you could rate other people. there was a huge backlash.

I think its good that people have an incentive to be nice. I have met too many jerks and users in my life. Too many people who only treat others nice when they want something from them (usually money or sex). Now they will have to treat everybody nice.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Am i the only one who thinks this may be a good idea?

...Now they will have to treat everybody nice.
    Think you need to watch/re-watch Nosedive. When you have a system where the majority of the population is forever longing for that 5-star rating in every aspect of their lives, there are going to be so many people who are going to give you fake smiles, fake services, fake everything. And that's just the best case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    Neither does Tencent and Alibaba! But I hear Uncle Sam likes to incarcerate people
    If you honestly think the CCP doesn't have full control of either Tencent or Alibaba, please have your brain checked.

Quote Originally Posted by irisboards:
    Like all excellent sci-fi, Black Mirror is scarily prescient
    The problem here is that in the Black Mirror episode there was no Big Brother-like government that incarcerates people without any semblance of fair rule of law. This will have disastrous consequences for many Chinese.
    Mefisto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    If you honestly think the CCP doesn't have full control of either Tencent or Alibaba, please have your brain checked.
    I think it's worse. I believe Tencent, Alibaba etc. would actively report you to get some plus points. WeChat has already message filters. I wonder if that was a government requirement or something they did to earn good will from above. There is totally nothing and nobody in China that works towards more privacy. And everybody is happy with that.
    Gatts and Mefisto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    I think it's worse. I believe Tencent, Alibaba etc. would actively report you to get some plus points. WeChat has already message filters. I wonder if that was a government requirement or something they did to earn good will from above.
    Probably the first, and then Jack Ma and the like pushing to please as that's how he got on top anyway. It's the same how cashless payments were rolled out so quickly: a society in which the government can simply make dissidents unable to pay for their own goods and freeze out of society must be the CCP's dream.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    So are you saying that when I give a strongly-worded, passive aggressive 1 star rating for a restaurant on Facebook, there's a chance it might have some consequences?

Hmm...
    With your current rating you shouldn't really push it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-45426882
    Report gives Fan Bingbing a zero for social duty - RTHK
    Fan Bingbing, who got a 0% score in the report, has not been seen in public since 1 July
    100 Chinese stars including popular actor Jackie Chan and award-winning actress Zhang Ziyi were ranked according to their professional work, charity work and personal integrity.