Like Tree95Likes

Angela Merkel is on the ropes

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    You don't have to wait, you can give money now. But like I said, it's all about spending other people's money with you.
    I do give money, but I'd like to see others step up as well. Especially those that have the means which certainly includes Germany and most of western Europe.

So are you.

FDP and CSU are against unlimited asylum seekers and want to set an annual limit and force refugees to apply in the first EU state they arrive, which would in effect make it impossible to apply for asylum in Germany. Together with the AFD that's closer to 30% of votes against Merkel's current refugee politics.

Polls are also showing over 55% of Germans want an annual limit for refugees. 58% are also against refugees being allowed to bring dependents to Germany.
    Wanting quotas on refugees or a return to Dublin rules and being anti-immigration are two different things. For the most part, people just don't want to see another 2015, which is understandable. I think most people would agree on that in principle. Yet such a scenario could be preventable via other means, which does not require the use of quotas. Hence the reluctance of politicians to go down that path.

As to the FDP, I wouldn't see this as an anti-immigration platform.

https://www.fdp.de/position/dossier-fluechtlingspolitik

As to the CSU, on a federal level they represent the consensus between CDU and CSU, which does not support quotas at this stage. Hence the loss of CSU supporters to the AFD.

I stick to my statement.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 22-11-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Only 12% of the total vote voted for an anti-immigration party. You're absolutely clueless of what's going on German politics.
    Is that the same as UKIP only getting a similar percentage in the 2015 UK general election and Brexit not being the key issue for the country.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    They should if they need them but aren't they in the lucky position to pick and choose which they accept rather than those that wander over the border?
    A points-based system can be based on several factors, such as age, skills, education, language skills, etc. It doesn't always have to be a privileged position. For example, there's a shortage of bakers in Germany.

On top of that, people from all over the EU can already enjoy the privilege of working in Germany regardless of economic status. Mind you though, life may not be rosy for an unskilled person in Germany and they may experience cultural and social isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    A points-based system can be based on several factors, such as age, skills, education, language skills, etc. It doesn't always have to be a privileged position. For example, there's a shortage of bakers in Germany.

On top of that, people from all over the EU can already enjoy the privilege of working in Germany regardless of economic status. Mind you though, life may not be rosy for an unskilled person in Germany and they may experience cultural and social isolation.
    That's my point. Wouldn't it be better to give points based on need, for example based on how poor you are, how poor your country is, how little education you have and so forth. That way Germany could do the most good for those who really need it, which is the goal right. Then of course there need to be programs to support new migrants in terms of education. As for language everyone needs to adapt. Maybe on the German side as well people could try to learn the languages of their newest citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by cendrillon:
    That's my point. Wouldn't it be better to give points based on need, for example based on how poor you are, how poor your country is, how little education you have and so forth. That way Germany could do the most good for those who really need it, which is the goal right. Then of course there need to be programs to support new migrants in terms of education. As for language everyone needs to adapt. Maybe on the German side as well people could try to learn the languages of their newest citizens.
    I think that's the goal of Germany's asylum system. People in most dire needs are usually asylum seekers. Once accepted, they're given a chance to stay in Germany long-term. Accepting economic migrants for humanitarian reasons would be politically unfeasible in my opinion. A noble goal though.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Is that the same as UKIP only getting a similar percentage in the 2015 UK general election and Brexit not being the key issue for the country.
    Not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by cendrillon:
    Oh God, how far removed from reality are you actually? Germany should totally prioritize poor, unskilled laborers from places like Bangladesh who can't even read and write and will end up on social security for the rest of their lives over skilled immigrants. There are 3 billion poor people on this world, how many should Germany be morally obligated to take? All of them or only as much until it becomes as poor as those people? Got any other smart ideas?
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 22-11-2017 at 11:34 PM.
    East_coast, Ern and Markx like this.

Oh God, how far removed from reality are you actually? Germany should totally prioritize poor, unskilled laborers from places like Bangladesh who can't even read and write and will end up on social security for the rest of their lives over skilled immigrants. Got any other smart ideas?
    Well it looks like you're going to get your wish. Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Thanks Einstein - that we probably didn't think of it. I am sure they didn't either.

Ah the privilege of being born at the right place.
    Yes, I was born in the right place. A place where one can drink beer and wine, can listen to music and dance, can have a boyfriend, and girlfriend and shag, marry who one wants, convert to any religion one wants, or to no religion.

If one is born in a country where she is stoned to death for drinking beer, raped by the village elders for premarital sex, killed by her parents for marrying a man they disapprove, forced to marry at 13, killed for having a baby out of wedlock, etc. then do something about it. Modernise your country and your stupid religion. Don't think that the solution is to migrate to the country of your choice (and bring your shit values with you).

And if you are saying "these countries are poor..." I remind you that Germany was poor 60 years ago, and now it is among the richest countries in the world. Same with Japan, Singapore, and possibly Hong Kong. Why all Muslim countries are poor (if they don't happen to have trillions of oil under their feet)? Their religion keeps them poor. So do something about it!
    Last edited by Markx; 23-11-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast