Like Tree37Likes

Will Trump end his four years?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

As far as I can tell, the man just keeps on winning. He'll be there for 8 years and a Republican will replace him.

At the risk of saying something 'political'...the only hope The Democrats have is finding their way back to somewhere near centre.

Last edited by SpeakCantonese; 06-12-2017 at 08:04 PM.
    cendrillon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    As far as I can tell, the man just keeps on winning. He'll be there for 8 years and a Republican will replace him.

At the risk of saying something 'political'...the only hope The Democrats have is finding their way back to somewhere near centre.
    In most European countries the Democrats would be centre right already.
    SpeakCantonese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    In most European countries the Democrats would be centre right already.
    I probably disagree. For me, I see a gaping chasm in the centre in American and European politics. But that doesn't matter. Let's say that, by the centre, I mean the centre of US politics. What matters is what the American voter thinks. As things stand now, The Democrats have zero chance of ousting the Republicans until they give some concessions to the roughly 50% of the US voting electorate who want Trump...or, more accurately, the group of voters in the middle who might change their minds...I know that most folks will vote Dem. or Rep. no matter what.
    cendrillon and kimwy66 like this.

Indeed everything got polarized and far more tribal than before. Straying from the dogma of either side is not tolerated which leads to very little moderate debate.

Quote Originally Posted by cendrillon:
    Indeed everything got polarized and far more tribal than before. Straying from the dogma of either side is not tolerated which leads to very little moderate debate.
    Yes. Further, the isolation of the 'tribes' creates echo chambers. Try this fun experiment; Join a pro-Brexit group and an anti-Brexit group and see if you come out of that with your sanity.*

*This experiment will only work if you're not firmly in either camp. That would be me.

Probably win a second term. It's hard to lose the second term and a lot of idiots in the USA still believe him. But I hope to hell I am wrong.

Economy is doing OK and he is tough (or try to be) on immigration - he cant lose almost, no matter how dumb he is or the shit he says. it is a total shame but ...it works

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Economy is doing OK and he is tough (or try to be) on immigration - he cant lose almost, no matter how dumb he is or the shit he says. it is a total shame but ...it works
    That's the thing, tax cuts and running a deficit is going to boost the economy, as will cutting environmental regulation. That's already a huge tailwind. Terrorism by its nature is designed to have an outsized emotional impact relative to the actual damage done. By the same token doing something that appears to fight terrorism and keep people 'safe' will be well received by the general public. This already gives Trump a huge advantage.

As highly paid city dwellers who are employed by profitable global organizations, and benefit immensely from globalization its natural that we wont like him, but I can also appreciate why an anti-globalization message would resonate with the blue collar worker who is facing more economic hardship as markets open up, either in the UK or US. I don't think that makes these voters stupid, or bad people, they just have different concerns. If anything I would say the lack of empathy for the legitimate concerns of the working class from the modern 'left' is whats driving a lot of the populist right wing uprising you're seeing in many countries these days.

If the democrats are serious about regaining power they (highly paid, city dwelling elite /elitist democrats) should probably stop telling the blue collar worker to check his privilege and have a little empathy for the working class. I think what will actually happen though is that they'll double down on their current path in reaction to their loss and it'll just get worse for them going forward.
    hullexile, SpeakCantonese and Ern like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cendrillon:
    Indeed, you only have to watch CNN and FOX to see that.