Like Tree91Likes

China bans hip-hop & tattoos from media

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    No one argues that Shakespeare wasn't influential in the English world. Golem, the king of strawmen.
    However, each culture has their own poets, playwrights, and writer that influenced the language, arts, and culture. Germany had Goethe, the French had Moliere, which are known to the English somewhat due to proximity. But can you name the ones from Iran, Thailand, or Turkey? No, you cannot. Thus the sole reason Shakespeare is known all over the world is simply due to the empire spreading their language and culture around the world.
    I see it exactly the same way.
    And these days other (needy ) people just familiarise with their culture in the hope to get a few crumbs from the cake.So it's economic might.
    Otherwise, nobody would care about that dude.

btw, anyone seriously interested in rap, there is sumting on YouTube " Rap in China.1 to 3 "

"Filtration, not suppression, I think, is the operative term," says Stephen Dowler
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...nt-hip-hop-ban
    hullexile likes this.

I don't like certain things but it doesn't mean they should be banned. Atleast they only banned it from media, and not in general. I guess hip hop will go on the streets. "Low taste content" is a strange concept. I'm not a fan of Pop and Hip hop but plenty of young people like it. Looks like CCP is trying hard to be unpopular with the younger generations.

Last edited by Tea addict; 09-02-2018 at 12:02 AM.

It's probably more a case of giant sprawling bureaucracy where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and the head couldn't care less about this particular issue. Given my own observation with the various Chinese bans, Hip Hop industry will likely just lie low for a few months, then quietly come back with no real repercussion.

From UK experience banning records from being played just made them much more popular, and that was even before social media.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    Of course these music executives say that you dolt or else their business wouldn't thrive anymore in China, please do try your best when posting links.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    From UK experience banning records from being played just made them much more popular, and that was even before social media.
    The Barbara Streisand effect... haha

There are so many examples of terrible, terrible songs/movies/games which sold well simply because of their infamy.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    He eats junk food
    Art thou Shakespeare in disguise?

It seems there are many ways to be unpatriotic

This movie star was inappropriately dressed for Xi's new (old) China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_fLamP56FQ

That's unfortunate as its just beginning to get recognition abroard from peers.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14