Like Tree91Likes

China bans hip-hop & tattoos from media

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Interestingly enough, Shakespare was for a time banned in China. Is it really surprising that a totalitarian regime wants to mold the population in a certain way? Sometimes, it's deemed to be for the good of the population, most often it's for the good of those in power and it rarely applies to them.

TheBrit likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I think that's more related to Shakespeare being institutionalized by the empire. Without that, Shakespeare wouldn't have left much of an impression on the world.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I think that's more related to Shakespeare being institutionalized by the empire. Without that, Shakespeare wouldn't have left much of an impression on the world.
    If that was the only reason than he would have been dropped when the empire was no more. What the empire did is to spread the English language and Shakespeare is an integral part of it. Perhaps you think that the rest of the English speaking world is too dumb to know any better but there can't be too many English speaking schools in the current world that doesn't study his work yet there is no more empire. There are many things that were institutionalized such as corporal punishment or slavery that have been discarded but Shakespeare endures.
    TheBrit, jgl, Gatts and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Assuming humans are still around in 400 years, i honestly think Tupac would be. Part of this is because of the myth around him (his life and death) but his songs already have had a huge impact on culture in our period (same as Shakespeare had during his lifetime).

Many subsequent rappers and musicians were inspired by him in a lot of their work.

Whether it is studied probably depends more on rap culture, how it impacts society and where it stands 400 years from now.
    All I know about this Tupac guy was that he was an American singer. I hadn't even known that he was dead until reading this.
    East_coast and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    All I know about this Tupac guy was that he was an American singer. I hadn't even known that he was dead until reading this.
    He has sold almost as many albums as Kenny G. Impressive

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    He has sold almost as many albums as Kenny G. Impressive

You are showing your age there EC, I doubt he has sold any albums.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You are showing your age there EC, I doubt he has sold any albums.
    I just looked at Wiki and then went up the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...illion_records

I was going to choose a country star but Kenny G felt funnier.

Let me try again

Wow he has sold more records than Alabama. That's impressive

So Shakespeare is well known in the English speaking world?

What about Spanish speaking regions or Chinese speaking? There should be Spanish playwrights or Chinese poets who are better known?

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    So Shakespeare is well known in the English speaking world?

What about Spanish speaking regions or Chinese speaking? There should be Spanish playwrights or Chinese poets who are better known?
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say here but you are making a point against your claim. Shakespeare is omnipresent in the English language but has also transcended it and is also very well known in non english speaking countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    If that was the only reason than he would have been dropped when the empire was no more. What the empire did is to spread the English language and Shakespeare is an integral part of it. Perhaps you think that the rest of the English speaking world is too dumb to know any better but there can't be too many English speaking schools in the current world that doesn't study his work yet there is no more empire. There are many things that were institutionalized such as corporal punishment or slavery that have been discarded but Shakespeare endures.
    No one argues that Shakespeare wasn't influential in the English world. Golem, the king of strawmen.
    However, each culture has their own poets, playwrights, and writer that influenced the language, arts, and culture. Germany had Goethe, the French had Moliere, which are known to the English somewhat due to proximity. But can you name the ones from Iran, Thailand, or Turkey? No, you cannot. Thus the sole reason Shakespeare is known all over the world is simply due to the empire spreading their language and culture around the world.
    Morrison likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast