Like Tree91Likes

China bans hip-hop & tattoos from media

Reply
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
  1. #81

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,741
    Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy
    Assuming humans are still around in 400 years, i honestly think Tupac would be. Part of this is because of the myth around him (his life and death) but his songs already have had a huge impact on culture in our period (same as Shakespeare had during his lifetime).

    Many subsequent rappers and musicians were inspired by him in a lot of their work.

    Whether it is studied probably depends more on rap culture, how it impacts society and where it stands 400 years from now.
    All I know about this Tupac guy was that he was an American singer. I hadn't even known that he was dead until reading this.
    East_coast and Gatts like this.

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    16,476
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    All I know about this Tupac guy was that he was an American singer. I hadn't even known that he was dead until reading this.
    He has sold almost as many albums as Kenny G. Impressive


  3. #83

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    20,217
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    He has sold almost as many albums as Kenny G. Impressive

    You are showing your age there EC, I doubt he has sold any albums.

  4. #84

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    16,476
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    You are showing your age there EC, I doubt he has sold any albums.
    I just looked at Wiki and then went up the list.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...illion_records

    I was going to choose a country star but Kenny G felt funnier.

    Let me try again

    Wow he has sold more records than Alabama. That's impressive


  5. #85

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,030

    So Shakespeare is well known in the English speaking world?

    What about Spanish speaking regions or Chinese speaking? There should be Spanish playwrights or Chinese poets who are better known?


  6. #86

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,790

    Give up, you've lost already.

    Gatts likes this.

  7. #87

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,500
    Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy
    So Shakespeare is well known in the English speaking world?

    What about Spanish speaking regions or Chinese speaking? There should be Spanish playwrights or Chinese poets who are better known?
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say here but you are making a point against your claim. Shakespeare is omnipresent in the English language but has also transcended it and is also very well known in non english speaking countries.

  8. #88

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    If that was the only reason than he would have been dropped when the empire was no more. What the empire did is to spread the English language and Shakespeare is an integral part of it. Perhaps you think that the rest of the English speaking world is too dumb to know any better but there can't be too many English speaking schools in the current world that doesn't study his work yet there is no more empire. There are many things that were institutionalized such as corporal punishment or slavery that have been discarded but Shakespeare endures.
    No one argues that Shakespeare wasn't influential in the English world. Golem, the king of strawmen.
    However, each culture has their own poets, playwrights, and writer that influenced the language, arts, and culture. Germany had Goethe, the French had Moliere, which are known to the English somewhat due to proximity. But can you name the ones from Iran, Thailand, or Turkey? No, you cannot. Thus the sole reason Shakespeare is known all over the world is simply due to the empire spreading their language and culture around the world.
    Morrison likes this.

  9. #89

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,500
    Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    No one argues that Shakespeare wasn't influential in the English world. Golem, the king of strawmen.
    However, each culture has their own poets, playwrights, and writer that influenced the language, arts, and culture. Germany had Goethe, the French had Moliere, which are known to the English somewhat due to proximity. But can you name the ones from Iran, Thailand, or Turkey? No, you cannot. Thus the sole reason Shakespeare is known all over the world is simply due to the empire spreading their language and culture around the world.
    First of all, you are changing your tune now and you have removed the word institutionalized which implied that it was forced down's people's throat and removed the fact that Shakespeare's work has merit on its own. Then you make an affirmation that can never be verified when you say that it's the sole reason that he is well known. Since we can't evaluate the alternative, we will never know whether or not Shakespeare would be well known without the empire, you can only guess. Plato, Socrates and Confucius are also very well known writers and still studied hundreds of years after their passing yet they weren't part of empires that spread across the world. I'm guessing that there will be no rappers or hip hoppers that will ever attain any of those gentlemen's reputation.
    TheBrit, Gatts and HK_Katherine like this.

  10. #90

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    First of all, you are changing your tune now and you have removed the word institutionalized which implied that it was forced down's people's throat and removed the fact that Shakespeare's work has merit on its own. Then you make an affirmation that can never be verified when you say that it's the sole reason that he is well known. Since we can't evaluate the alternative, we will never know whether or not Shakespeare would be well known without the empire, you can only guess. Plato, Socrates and Confucius are also very well known writers and still studied hundreds of years after their passing yet they weren't part of empires that spread across the world. I'm guessing that there will be no rappers or hip hoppers that will ever attain any of those gentlemen's reputation.
    Of course it's institutionalized. It's compulsory learning in schools. Are you saying people all over the world just discovered Shakespeare books on a shelf somewhere, opened the first few pages, and decided, yay, this sounds so lovely, let me read more. Who are you trying to kid? Not only was it forced on the kids, but also on the Native populations. Do residential schools in Canada ring a bell?

    Ironically, a survey in Alberta indicates that there is a strong desire to drop Shakespeare as a compulsory subject. However, there are still plenty of zealots pushing against that wave.

Reply
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast