Like Tree125Likes

President Xi Forever...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

China will scrap limit on presidential term, meaning Xi Jinping can stay on

http://m.scmp.com/news/china/policie...erm-meaning-xi

But any proposed change to Hong Kong's "constitution" leads to being banned from standing for election.

Gatts, TheBrit, Mefisto and 3 others like this.

That's the end to Dengs legacy of a modernising China. Cats MUST be Black AND White and catch mice more than any cat in the bourgeois West and I don't remember noticing many, if any, benevolent "Presidents for Life".

The discussions of whether Xi is Maoist are now at an end and we are back to dictatorship. Proof that life is a circle.

My wife ( from Tianjin ) does not see the problem so I guess that will be the general consensus in the motherland.

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:
    That's the end to Dengs legacy of a modernising China. Cats MUST be Black AND White and catch mice more than any cat in the bourgeois West and I don't remember noticing many, if any, benevolent "Presidents for Life".

The discussions of whether Xi is Maoist are now at an end and we are back to dictatorship. Proof that life is a circle.

My wife ( from Tianjin ) does not see the problem so I guess that will be the general consensus in the motherland.
    To go back implies that China had left it behind. Just because you put a different name on a dictator doesn't mean that a dictatorship has stopped...

Hey why is my computer acting this way and says it will self destruct in 3 minutes? What have I done? Noooooooo

President Xi Forever...

China’s Communist Party is set to repeal presidential term limits in a move that would allow Xi Jinping to rule beyond 2023, completing the country’s move away from a political system based on collective leadership.

The party’s Central Committee announced Sunday that it was seeking to strike a constitutional provision barring the head of state from serving more than two consecutive terms. That would remove the only formal barrier to Xi, who is also party leader and commander-in-chief of the military, staying in power indefinitely.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...le-for-decades

China’s Communist Party has cleared the way for President Xi Jinping to stay in power indefinitely, by announcing Sunday that it intends to abolish term limits on the presidency, a momentous break with decades-old rules meant to prevent the country from returning to the days when Mao was shown cultish obedience.

The surprise move, revealed in a dryly worded proposal to amend the Constitution, is the boldest yet by Mr. Xi as he seeks to strengthen the party’s control over a modernizing society and restore China to what he considers its rightful pace as a global power — an agenda that his allies have suggested requires his personal leadership.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/25/w...i-jinping.html

fuck thats scary

greenmark and East_coast like this.

Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:

When were we not?

The only difference if this happens in that the "head of state" can stay longer. But ultimately it is still the same party in charge for over decades so nothing new there. China is a dictatorship already.
    Mefisto and Golem like this.

There is a huge difference between a state ruled by a group of people with possibly divergent views and thus the ability to swing one way or another and a single individual. Particularly one as power-hungry and ruthless as this one.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast