Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13
Like Tree54Likes

Trade War of 2018

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Yes, and that is the first trick of many. We'll see how right Trump is that "trade wars are easy to win". If he blunders on with tariffs, I suspect he'll have to climb down or lose the majority of funding for the Republicans ahead of the midterms.
    At least a month ago I've heard that China already shifted all their soy bean purchase from US to Brazil. Meanwhile Canada is taking a page out of China's strategy and putting a tariff on yogurt, which mainly comes from Wisconsin and home state of Speaker Paul Ryan.

I think there's also another tariff that's aimed directly at the home state of Senate Majority speaker Mitch McConnell.

Whatever happens, hope no one puts a tariff on popcorn.
    TheBrit likes this.

hullexile likes this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

The Philippine authorities are reporting that Chinese and European firms are contacting them seeking to relocate manufacturing to avoid tariffs. I am sure if it is happening here it is happening elsewhere.

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    The Philippine authorities are reporting that Chinese and European firms are contacting them seeking to relocate manufacturing to avoid tariffs. I am sure if it is happening here it is happening elsewhere.
    It is

As the new tarrifs roll in today... the ship carrying soybeans, which was featured in several news articles, is still circling off the port, waiting for the owners of the cargo to make a decision.

The Amsterdam-based company is thought to be paying about $12,500 a day to continue chartering the ship, which is idling in the Yellow Sea off the coast of China, indicating extra costs so far of more than $400,000.
    Offloading them in China would incur a 25% tariff, adding around $6m to the cost of bringing them into the country.

“They [the cargo’s owners] have clearly got in mind the 25% tariff to take the goods into China and they’ll be weighing that against alternative buyers asking for a massive discount potentially equivalent to that,” said Michael Magdovitz, an analyst at Rabobank.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...de-war-with-us

hullexile likes this.

Trump Ratchets Up Tariff Pressure on China With $200 Billion Hit

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...n-hit-jm6vhgsr

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13