Like Tree16Likes

Why do young rural women in China become mistresses?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why do young rural women in China become mistresses?

https://aeon.co/essays/why-do-young-...ome-mistresses
    The pragmatic approach of rural women leaves them better off than the educated urban girls who can also end up as mistresses.
    Local estate agents target provincial officials and businessmen looking to put their money into Beijing’s property bubble, and the men fill up the apartments, bought as investments, with their women. “Half of the apartments are empty,” she explained. “And the other half are full of girls. Everyone gossips. About money, about men. If they saw me with a foreigner, they’d talk about it for a month.”

I heard having a mistress is both rooted in cultural tradition (to have more male offsprings) and also a modern status symbol. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine:
    I heard having a mistress is both rooted in cultural tradition (to have more male offsprings) and also a modern status symbol. Is this true?
    I think it is mostly to do with sex

Having a cute mistress is purely Chinese tradition. No man from any other country/ethnicity has ever had one, definitely!

Rich men wanting a trophy wife or girlfriend is pretty universal I would say. For example, there's a website called seekingarrangement which quite openly bills itself as "sugar daddy dating"

They deserve each other. Neither the woman or the man are blind to what transaction they are getting into.

it happens more in China because there is a greater inequality. They see it as a job, as a way to get money and a better life. That's why you get young thai women or eastern european women marrying older white men, for a better life. Not because of love or attraction.

What i hate is when it becomes a norm and screws up perspectives for others. Like their expectations of what a man or woman should be or should want in a marriage or relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    They deserve each other. Neither the woman or the man are blind to what transaction they are getting into.

it happens more in China because there is a greater inequality. They see it as a job, as a way to get money and a better life. That's why you get young thai women or eastern european women marrying older white men, for a better life. Not because of love or attraction.

What i hate is when it becomes a norm and screws up perspectives for others. Like their expectations of what a man or woman should be or should want in a marriage or relationship.
    I couldn't possibly comment

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  177.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I couldn't possibly comment

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  177.3 KB
    Wow. So many daughters!

Original Post Deleted
    Yes exactly, having learnt the hard way. Hating the player or hating the game doesn't really do much anyway.

Just look for someone who deserves you and what you want from marriage or a relationship.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:

Or perhaps that's just a western view of what love and marriage are supposed to mean. Always hard to say really. Both parties appear to be gaining benefits from this arrangement.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast