Like Tree82Likes

Video released of Uber self-driving car that killed US woman

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10

Original Post Deleted
    I think this is a bit harsh. Computers fly planes these days and few of us complain. Computers took astronauts to the moon. Sure, computer software makes mistakes, but so do humans. Often. Humans get hungry, tired, angry etc. They enact road rage, speeding, drink-driving. It's not unreasonable to think that computers driving cars might be a better solution than people driving cars.

People also walk in front of cars and get killed. Or push bikes in front of cars. Some of them are blameless, some of them are not.

So its hard to support a stance that the computer must be to blame and the cyclist cannot be to blame. It's more likely, as in much of life, that there is plenty of blame to spread around.
    rathunt likes this.

The difference here is the amount and location of testing. The amount of testing for aviation is through the roof.

Look at what happens when company culture takes a shift in the wrong direction, with Boeing.

Then look at Uber, and the total lack of responsibility within that culture. At least Google is building their own artificial town for vehicle testing. I've also seen their cars on the streets, the drivers actually look attentive.

Uber tossed their cars out into public streets with minimum wage, ineffective human 'monitors' doing all day shifts, then disabled two safety systems and put obviously badly designed software in control.

The sooner that company goes bust, the better.

Self driving cars, however, I am all for the idea of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    The difference here is the amount and location of testing. The amount of testing for aviation is through the roof.

Look at what happens when company culture takes a shift in the wrong direction, with Boeing.

Then look at Uber, and the total lack of responsibility within that culture. At least Google is building their own artificial town for vehicle testing. I've also seen their cars on the streets, the drivers actually look attentive.

Uber tossed their cars out into public streets with minimum wage, ineffective human 'monitors' doing all day shifts, then disabled two safety systems and put obviously badly designed software in control.

The sooner that company goes bust, the better.

Self driving cars, however, I am all for the idea of that.
    Uber needs to go. The thing with Tesla and Uber, they do new innovations, great. But they don't care about the people they harm. It's only a scalable project gone good.

I will add that I hope governments make the following illegal and shut them down:

Google
    Facebook
    Airbnb
    Uber/Lyft
    Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    I will add that I hope governments make the following illegal and shut them down:

Google
    Facebook
    Airbnb
    Uber/Lyft
    Tesla
    And yet you simultaneously post about using Uber Eats? No frission of cognitive dissonance here?

https://geoexpat.com/forum/341/threa...ml#post3673404

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    And yet you simultaneously post about using Uber Eats? No frission of cognitive dissonance here?

https://geoexpat.com/forum/341/threa...ml#post3673404
    Yeah I tried it, didn't mean I said it was great and I loved it.

I think the phrase you're searching for is "better regulated".

HK_Katherine likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Except they have Airbnb and Tesla.

Original Post Deleted
    You say that until it's your husband, wife, mom, dad or child who gets killed by Tesla.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10