Like Tree63Likes

Uber's Big American Ego...

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It really is just tax avoidance. The Gig economy pushes business overheads to be employees own costs and Amazon Warehouses are really shop stores that should pay shop rate taxes and they get a hefty subsidy fram USPS . Clearly the USA should have VAT not sales taxes.

Google probably does abuse its dominance. All the big platforms should offer say 10% of their screen presence to the open market.

Something needs to give.
    I am not sure how that article says it is a victory, there are plenty of ways around the law. Employers will require contractors to form their own limited companies, and in states like California, those costs will easily be US $1000 per year passed onto the contractors who normally didn't have costs. Some states have much lower costs but it sounds like a tax on the people.

If a person is working for a company, lets say Uber, then they would be forced to work dedicated shifts and take all calls. Whereas as a contractor, the drivers can turn on and off working as they see fit. If you think of bus drivers, they are pushed to make trips in certain time frames, and it becomes a factory line.

Contracting or gig society also gives a chance for workers to sub-contract their work and earn a cut, and grow their own business from the work. Being forced to be an employee for a company would further limit this. The cost will be passed onto the employee or the customer in the end.

Also, if there is an employee, companies would definitely limit overtime, thus limiting the amount someone could earn. If business is slow, send the employee home early (clock out - they don't get paid). Wages would be less stable and heavily taxed with state taxes, social security, medicare, etc. As a contractor, those people can write off many expenses whereas as an employee you cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    If a person is working for a company, lets say Uber, then they would be forced to work dedicated shifts and take all calls. Whereas as a contractor, the drivers can turn on and off working as they see fit.
    I would suggest this is too narrow a definition. I hire an UBER driver not Barry who's with Uber.

The rules hsould be broader in terms of what constitutes the need for social responsibility. How much of a persons earns, how much they control the service or product, the livery (digital/bricks and motar) etc.

If a person derives a majority of their wage and works a significant amount of their time and uses the company systems and logos to gain business. They sound like an employee to me.

I would suggest this is too narrow a definition. I hire an UBER driver not Barry who's with Uber.

The rules hsould be broader in terms of what constitutes the need for social responsibility. How much of a persons earns, how much they control the service or product, the livery (digital/bricks and motar) etc.

If a person derives a majority of their wage and works a significant amount of their time and uses the company systems and logos to gain business. They sound like an employee to me.
    Even with the new law, Uber plans to keep its drivers as contractors and over US 90mil is pledged to overturning this law next year.

Should they be employees, should Uber limit the amount of hours one could work. What if a driver wants to do both Uber and Lyft at the same time. Being a contractor gives a lot more freedom compared to working for an employer as well. What you are proposing forces the person into one method. Perhaps the staff should be allowed to choose if they want to be a contractor or an employee.

Your loss. Barry is The BEST!
    East_coast likes this.

Sounds like a franchisee to me

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Sounds like a franchisee to me
    Except the person gets their money from the business more like a wage. A franchise takes the money themselves and pays wages to workers and fees to the franchisor.

What you are proposing forces the person into one method.
    Absolutely not

What if a driver wants to do both Uber and Lyft at the same time.
    Then like the many many millions of people if they have a significant and sustained level of employment they would be holding 2 jobs down. Both companies should be treating them like an employee

Perhaps the staff should be allowed to choose if they want to be a contractor or an employee.
    That is the point they currently don't have a choice and the gig economy bypasses many of the social responsibilities entry level workers should be given.

The second extinction of unicorns is nigh.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/b...OBaKnI4-yaNDaw

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    The second extinction of unicorns is nigh.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/b...OBaKnI4-yaNDaw
    I tried to read that. Couldn't get past this paragraph:

For a company focused on a millennial audience and a brand that seeks to evoke a sense of community, the story was viewed internally as existential.
    Sense of community...it's an over-priced suitcase retailer.

Millennials worried about internal existential stories in companies they buy from should be more concerned about their sleepless nights over the climate while supporting a company with a $1 billion price tag that promotes overt consumerism & jetting around the world.
    hongkong7 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast