Like Tree81Likes

Female genital mutilation bill dead after Senate vote

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    Could either CS or HC advise us exactly what this ‘education’ we would be providing is and how long we would be expected to tolerate FGM in the meantime? Can we at least have a The content and the timeline? Thanks.
    So after 3 pages of virtue signalling, you're ready to have a discussion. It would be nice if you could show us some successes of banning the practice, which HC asked for pages ago. Canada has tried a ban as well with zero convictions to date.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    Could either CS or HC advise us exactly what this ‘education’ we would be providing is and how long we would be expected to tolerate FGM in the meantime? Can we at least have a The content and the timeline? Thanks.
    It should concentrate on the risks. It should be carried out by women from the community. I understand this approach is being used successfully in Africa but I have no details.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    So after 3 pages of virtue signalling, you're ready to have a discussion. It would be nice if you could show us some successes of banning the practice, which HC asked for pages ago. Canada has tried a ban as well with zero convictions to date.
    Bans only work when they’re enforced.

Please advise what the education would entail and how long we will have to tolerate FGM until it starts working?

Original Post Deleted
    Google "FGM education" plenty of information on there.

Original Post Deleted
    How about we start with you?

https://www.globalpartnership.org/bl...ducation-works
    HowardCoombs likes this.

It's a bit hypocritical to be up in arms and call for an end to FGM and continue to allow circumcision on boys... I agree it's undesirable but if you make it unlawful then how to you allow circumcision?

I think that just like abortions, there is a valid concern that driving the practice underground will also cause a lot of damage. That's the counter argument that is often used to legalize drugs. Keep it in the hands of criminals and more people die from that poison. Allow everything and it's akin to condoning undesirable behaviours.

Last edited by Golem; 25-04-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    You are just showing your ignorance. If you want to campaign against something first do some research. Who is the fiend and what is the ceremonial blade?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Strange they didnt ban drinking nor smoking - wonder why
    Hint : cuz it dont work.
    I know I'm going to regret entering this discussion... I know..

Banned (for sale or consumption...) for minors.

Original Post Deleted
    Often a razor blade is used... Is that the ceremonial blade you are talking about? Really if you researched a bit you would see that some advance is being made in many countries.

Original Post Deleted
    They seem like poor local women to me who have been brought up to think this is the right thing to do and make some money. Education and alternative work solves those problems.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnt-P1zX1YY

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast