Like Tree32Likes

Dear USA: Treat Teachers Like They're Humans!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Not sure how to read that- do you mean that most of school fees go towards salaries (to be expected) or most of the increase in school fees goes towards salaries?
    Most of the increase in the school fees goes towards increases in staffing costs.
    jgl likes this.

Considering that staffing is the biggest chunk of the operational budget of a school, it's fair to say that the inflationary increase is mostly to cover increases in staffing cost. It can be problematic if a school has high retention and too many teachers are heading towards or are in the upper echelon of a salary scale. ESF has been pushing for years to get their experience factor down a few years to save money. Also worth noting that a lot of the older leadership in those schools did not get contract renewals and were replaced by younger people. Everyone is keenly aware that school fees are high and many are watching.

jgl likes this.

I was asking because from what I saw when looking at international schools was that some of them are clearly run with the purpose of generating profits for shareholders.

Kowloon Goon and MerMer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I was asking because from what I saw when looking at international schools was that some of them are clearly run with the purpose of generating profits for shareholders.
    Most of the better established schools are run as non profit . I believe this is necessary in order to get land to build on.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Most of the better established schools are run as non profit . I believe this is necessary in order to get land to build on.
    Run as a non-profit? Have you worked for a non-profit? Such institutions can't survive without a "profit."

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon:
    Run as a non-profit? Have you worked for a non-profit? Such institutions can't survive without a "profit."
    I'll assume you are playing dumb here. Any decent school even if they are non profit needs to keep an eye on the bottom line and must generate surpluses otherwise it becomes difficult to do any kind of upgrading. A non profit is supposed to reinvest the money into the organization and shouldn't be funneling money to individuals. In practice it is sometimes done with honorarium, bonuses, travel perks etc but kept within reason.

You quickly notice the difference if you work for a school looking for profit. Class sizes tend to be bigger, teachers younger, resources more limited, professional development more limited, lots of open source software, facilities are generally not as extensive and well maintained.
    MerMer likes this.

"funnelling money to individuals" - interesting way of characterizing paying teachers... What are these better established schools you talk of anyway?

And your distinction between for profit and non-profit as it pertains to class size etc. demonstrates your ignorance of the profession...

TheBrit likes this.

"funnelling money to individuals" - interesting way of characterizing paying teachers...
    No, funneling money to shareholders, leaders, or members. A non-profit model doesn't support that structure.

"funnelling money to individuals" - interesting way of characterizing paying teachers... What are these better established schools you talk of anyway?

And your distinction between for profit and non-profit as it pertains to class size etc. demonstrates your ignorance of the profession...
    The funneling of money is not to teachers which you would know and understand if you really had such grand knowledge of the profession and institutions. As to the other comment, I can only laugh at it considering the years of experience and the number of institutions I've been involved in but hey, if it makes you happy to say stupid stuff without any information nor rebuttal. Go for it junior...

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    The funneling of money is not to teachers which you would know and understand if you really had such grand knowledge of the profession and institutions. As to the other comment, I can only laugh at it considering the years of experience and the number of institutions I've been involved in but hey, if it makes you happy to say stupid stuff without any information nor rebuttal. Go for it junior...