View Poll Results: Lost Mail or Lost Packages?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lost Mail

1 33.33%
  • Lost Packages

2 66.67%
Like Tree23Likes

Have you had lost mail or packages at your foreign address while living abroad? What was the mailing or shipping product? Priority Mail International, UPS, Fedex International?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original Post Deleted
    DHL is the go to service if you absolutely want it delivered and tracked and not too worried about paying a premium.

UPS and FedEx come second.

For US to HK Postal Redirection, I've used myus.com - need to fill in some US postal forms to allow them to receive mail on your behalf (good for credit cards / financial documents etc). $25 / year + forwarding costs.
    gigglinggal and UnkleEugene like this.

Once my cousin put Hong Kong, China and the package went to Beijing . Then 6 weeks later I received it after someone figured out to send it onto Hong Kong!

UnkleEugene likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LiDaifu:
    Once my cousin put Hong Kong, China and the package went to Beijing . Then 6 weeks later I received it after someone figured out to send it onto Hong Kong!
    For next time, it's faster when they write Hong Kong, Japan.
    timonoj, shri and UnkleEugene like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I've used all sorts of things over the years. They all work fine the vast majority of the time, and when they fuck up, they do so big time and with the parcel/letter that you really need.

Usually the post office is the most reliable if you want something to arrive but are not concerned about time. Usually a courier service is better if you need speed. That's about the extent of my experience.

HK post are mostly good, except when you try and post items with batteries in them, in which case they turn into assholes.
    Found this the hard way last week...
    UnkleEugene and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    DHL is the go to service ..... UPS and FedEx come second.
    I found all 3 similar Ok in terms of speed. You can add also TNT, I use them a lot.

It makes sense to compare prices with all of them, ask for current discounts too. Sometimes it makes sense to make a parcel a bit heavier to slip into a discount, and save a lot.

My experience with EMS is rather poor. Deliveries to Europe can take easily a week or longer. No big difference to normal Air parcels.

And if you want to do air parcel anyway, check out the post's eExpress (max 2Kg), huge discount to some countries. Example 2Kg to USA, Airmail unregistered, HK$381.60 - eExpress HK$ 138.40 (with free registration).
    shri and UnkleEugene like this.

Okay, thank you for the info.

I think that using a service other than USPS is probably best his far away from the US, even though I'd prefer to use USPS as they have the best prices.

I wish there was a way to improve their reliability?

The Express is a service I had not used before, however I will try it the next time I have another laptop to send, because it is less than the 2Kg weight.

I have added TNT to my list, I also will try them as well.

Thanks.

@UnkleEugene - One thing to consider, laptops are a LOT cheaper when bought through Amazon or directly from the US based website of most vendors (other than Apple).

I've frequently looked at higher / lower spec'ed laptops from vendors like DELL, Lenovo, HP and have found US prices unbeatable.

gigglinggal and UnkleEugene like this.