Like Tree148Likes

Xinjiang — ethnic minorities — “transformation through education.”

Closed Thread
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You won't get me defending the USA or their hypocrisy, but I can't see what it has to do with whether the BBC "admitted he was fine" - which they did not do.

While I am on facts, the only 120 killed in drone attacks must be total crap or my memory is playing tricks.
    The 120 is the number of people the USA did not intend to kill. The ones they intended to kill extra judicially is probably 10-20 times that number.
    Last edited by East_coast; 11-02-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circulate:
    East coast is playing a very tedious game of selective sourcing of quotes
    No.

I was asked if I would prefer a certain type of extrajudicial action from the state and used what data I could find. The probability of an innocent person being hit by a drone is miniscule. The probability of an innocent Chinese national of a certain ethnicity in a certain region of China of being locked up without due process is extremely high.

Anyway back to the very simple question, could you please clarify if you believe Uighurs from Xinjiang are Chinese?
    Last edited by East_coast; 11-02-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The 120 is the number of people the USA did not intend to kill. The ones they intended to kill extra judicially is probably 10-20 times that number.
    Still don't believe that, though I am going purely from memory. I am sure I remember a hospital being hit and a wedding party. I seriously doubt drones have a 90% hit rate. Anyway, even if it is several thousand it has nothing to do with the situation with these camps.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Still don't believe that, though I am going purely from memory. I am sure I remember a hospital being hit and a wedding party. I seriously doubt drones have a 90% hit rate. Anyway, even if it is several thousand it has nothing to do with the situation with these camps.
    I think I read somewhere that Obama believed the accuracy rate for killing intended targets was well over 95%. I believe most were in the open hitting people traveling between places. I dislike any extra judicial activity but argument to suggest that Internment camps are OK because Obama used drones is not logical. The use of internment camps is a domestic policy issue. It is abhorrent and it is nothing to do with drone strikes in Yemen or elsewhere.

The deflecting and 'look over there' type replies appear to be very telling and match what I have read on recent comments on other sites also after a very long silence on discussing these camps.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:

Numbers from the same government that initially denied drone strikes?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rogramme-court

And that persistently lied about other stuff such as....

The NSA wasn't spying on American citizens
    There are no secret CIA prisons
    Saddam has weapons of mass destruction
    The Afghan war was about getting Osama bin Laden

Well, here are some good stats for you.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ikes-kill-1147
    Do you think a government that operates with a free press or one that controls the press is more or less likely to lie to the public?

Do you think a government that operates with a free press or one that controls the press is more or less likely to lie to the public?
    Judging based on Trump, I think the former.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.6b2faf2ec496

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Judging based on Trump, I think the former.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.6b2faf2ec496
    By taking Trump as an example of a leader that operates with a free press you are stating that a government with a free press is more likely to lie to the public?

Can you explain your analysis as the evidence I can see suggests otherwise?

No.

I was asked if I would prefer a certain type of extrajudicial action from the state and used what data I could find. The probability of an innocent person being hit by a drone is miniscule. The probability of an innocent Chinese national of a certain ethnicity in a certain region of China of being locked up without due process is extremely high.

Anyway back to the very simple question, could you please clarify if you believe Uighurs from Xinjiang are Chinese?
    Maybe I'm missing some context but surely the Uighurs are nationally Chinese and ethnically Mongolian? Similar to those of the Yuan Dynasty? Or is this a trick question?

Quote Originally Posted by Viktri:
    is this a trick question?
    No, one poster would not answer the question and was very evasive in their reply. It really is a simple question.

Uighurs are ethnically Mongolian? Similar to those of the Yuan Dynasty?
    I thought perhaps a different lineage.

surely the Uighurs are nationally Chinese
    Yes, the are as Chinese as Xi Dada or Mao.