Like Tree257Likes

Trapped Thai football team rescue

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Trapped Thai football team rescue

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/03/a...uestions-intl/
    ...authorities will supply the team with four months' worth of food. Surawan's reference to four months has been interpreted as a potential sign that authorities are considering waiting until the rainy season ends in October.

Original Post Deleted
    Reading comments on some of the newspaper articles is just stunningly sad. So many people appear to have no idea how hard this is and believe that Thailand is deliberately stalling the rescue. While I have little faith in most Governments, I really do think this is hard. I hope it turns out well because the whole world is now following the story. No doubt it will become a great film.

I know nothing about diving but is there some way to "buddy dive" the way skydivers do it? A boy holds on to a knowledgeable diver who steers them both out? Or are the passages just too narrow for this?

If more rain is coming, it seems time to think about the "not all that great" solutions, unless they are pretty sure this location won't go under...

Original Post Deleted
    I read they had to take their tanks off and push them through ahead of them. Impossible for the kids. I can't imagine how the parents are feeling - elated they are alive but not knowing if they can get out alive. Nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I read they had to take their tanks off and push them through ahead of them. Impossible for the kids. I can't imagine how the parents are feeling - elated they are alive but not knowing if they can get out alive. Nightmare.
    Diving is also about fear. It's going to be pitch dark and probably dirty water. I get claustrophobic diving in open water - (and yes, I have a diving certificate, but it's a constant battle) - to the idea of diving in the dark with tight walls, if you cannot even swim and have never dived before... gives me the willies just thinking about it.

I guess if they can rig something up so the tanks are separated from the kid and essentially carried by one diver while another one leads the kid.... in a line with a fair amount of slack... might just work.
    TheBrit likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    And they need to get the right equipment. Tanks, and all the gear. I don't think t-shirt and shorts will do.

I wonder how long it takes from the entrance to their actual location. And are their any tankless resting spots with air on the way?

I think even getting the supplies for 4 months will be a very serious challenge. Let's hope they find an alternative solution to help them...

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    I wonder how long it takes from the entrance to their actual location. And are their any tankless resting spots with air on the way?
    Based on BBC report, they are 4km inside the cave

The diagram of the cave is great info to see how bad the situation is.

Hope they all do survive this.

It was a three-hour round trip, involving a 1.5km passage, partly flooded and partly open
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44707303
    MABinPengChau, spode and juanalias like this.

I can imagine that 4 month of supplies will create a hygiene problem that I refuse to imagine.

I also wonder what the temperature is in there. Caves are usually rather cool.

shri likes this.

Is drilling down from the surface feasible?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast