Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GeoTommy
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 1 Post By robertlempriere
  • 1 Post By Fiona in HKG

Inside the very big, very controversial business of dog cloning

Inside the very big, very controversial business of dog cloning

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...al-sooam-hwang
    ...last March, Barbra Streisand came out as a cloner. In an interview with Variety, the singer let slip that her two Coton de Tulear puppies, Miss Violet and Miss Scarlett, are actually clones of her beloved dog Samantha, who died last year. The puppies, she said, were cloned from cells taken from Sammies mouth and stomach by ViaGen Pets, a pet-cloning company based in Texas that charges $50,000 for the service.
    Cloned puppies are like identical twins born at a later date, he says. A twin out of time.
    robertlempriere likes this.

any bigger than horse cloning?

I'm waiting for the first (real) human clone. That would be fun. Soon much of science fiction is going to be just science! Let's hope civilisation can cope with it.

MandM! likes this.

Great read, thanks for sharing.

My thoughts
    - ethics - not really ethical for a number of reasons including
    -- surrogate failures - clones which 'go wrong'
    -- finances could be better allocated to taking care of the millions of unwanted / homeless animals we already have

- human cloning - as the article says, is probably not all that interesting, what is more interesting is the engineering of humans with or without certain DNA settings

- research - it is likely these activities are expanding the universe of knowledge, so that's a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    That would be fun.
    Still waiting for the woolly mammoth to be cloned.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    ...finances could be better allocated to taking care of the millions of unwanted / homeless animals we already have
    True. But Barbra Streisand just wants her beloved Samantha back!

Meanwhile we can't fix this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLT_4R39-Zc

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy

True. But Barbra Streisand just wants her beloved Samantha back!
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 469
Size:  666.7 KB
    jgl likes this.

Didn't think I'd be bumping this thread, but this is brilliant (and good free marketing for Instapainting):

https://simonwillison.net/2019/Mar/7/oil-painting/

This photograph says so much about the age that we live in. I couldnt get it out of my head.
    I always wanted to commission an oil painting from China, but I never quite found the right subject... until now.
    Theres something deliciously appropriate about using a painting cloning service to clone a photograph of some cloned dogs.

She got two dogs that look like Sammy but will never be Sammy. The thing that sets dogs apart is their personality and cloning without getting that, seems so pointless. Actually the whole concept of dog cloning seems pointless. Apart from the expense and yes, @robertlempriere what that could do for so many dogs needing care and homes, your time with a dog is finite and that's part of the deal. And if you are a rescuer at heart, you know that you move on after the loss, sometimes soon and sometimes later, to give another dog needing a home, just that.

Cwbguy likes this.