Like Tree119Likes

Cathay Pacific hit by data leak affecting 9.4m passengers

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Changing DOB might be more secure
    z754103 and jdf21st like this.

Infantile venting of frustrations... Most large corporations, tech, banks, cars, airlines, governments will screw up eventually. If you read the news, we rarely go one week without one kind of screw up or another, this one is just a bit closer to home. Go fly another airline if it makes you happy, they'll eventually disappoint one way or another. I don't really care, I just fly what's cheapest.

Original Post Deleted
    experian is a very well known... Nevermind..

https://www.theguardian.com/business...al-information

Seriously, what can hackers do with such data? My wife uses a brick and mortar travel agent and they have the same info - my passport number, address, name, multiple CC numbers, etc.

In the e-mail I got from Cathay, they claim the information stolen didn't include my passport information or credit card information. But The Independent is reporting differently:

The breach included passport details and credit card numbers, Hong Kong’s flag carrier said.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8599851.html

So what Cathay said in the e-mail they sent me is different from what the media is reporting (Independent isn't the best source, but in the Independent quote above, they are claiming Cathay gave them that information).

Anybody know what's up? Was passport information or credit card information also stolen by the hackers?
    Elegiaque likes this.

The comment that other companies have and will continue to make breaches doesn’t make the issue any better. How many months had they known? In my company data breach can and has led to instant dismissal. The more I see of the digital age the less I’m impressed by it.

Disgusted that I learned through office security yesterday rather than an email THIS EVENING from Cathay.

Frankly I’ve been a fan of theirs but 3 years of Silver, last 2 years Gold at inflated prices and next to zero upgrades already had me questioning whether to switch. BA falls well short on the customer flight experience but I would expect more upgrades for their equivalent status.

Original Post Deleted
    hmm. The email I got says HKID number and name

I think I hit the jackpot.

The following types of personal data about you were accessed:

Email Address
    HKID Number
    Name
    Nationality
    Telephone Number
    Title
    Travel Document Number

However, thank god, "Your travel or loyalty profile was not accessed in full, and your password was not compromised." Phew, that was close.

Just to add, I am being offered a free year's worth of Experian Identityworks. Anyone heard of this (I've heard of Experian, but don't know much about their monitoring service).

Last edited by pin; 25-10-2018 at 10:46 PM.
    bdw and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I think I hit the jackpot.

The following types of personal data about you were accessed:

Email Address
    HKID Number
    Name
    Nationality
    Telephone Number
    Title
    Travel Document Number

However, thank god, "Your travel or loyalty profile was not accessed in full, and your password was not compromised." Phew, that was close.

Just to add, I am being offered a free year's worth of Experian Identityworks. Anyone heard of this (I've heard of Experian, but don't know much about their monitoring service).
    I beat you. They also know my DOB
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast