Like Tree9Likes

The World, Built by China

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I've realised that the massive upswing in strongly anti China posts on here coincides with Trump's election and attacks on China. Do we have American 50 cents on here?

Just kidding folks though I do wonder why it happened. What changed? China is the same dictatorship it has always been.
    Some would argue China has changed direction i the last few years

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/08/15...reality-check/
    Gatts and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Interesting you mention that. In the IPSOS report it mentions "Do worries reflect reality?" and then proceeds to talking about places where people enjoy a free press. Could it be perhaps that the free press press in those countries is playing on the fears and the insecurity of people in order to achieve their goal rather than informing the public on actual policy?

Makes you wonder who's more brainwashed?

And seriously, why wouldn't the Chinese be more optimistic considering this just happened?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1IV15L

Millions of Chinese travel, study, migrate, and engage in business all over the world to form their opinions. On top of that China's social and economic indicators far surpass those of its little neighbour. Comparing the Chinese to North Koreans is silly.

Your are almost certainly right that a free press will feed the public with fear.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Some would argue China has changed direction i the last few years

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/08/15...reality-check/
    Perhaps but not a significant enough change to warrant the change on here. It used to be whinges about mainlanders now it is a constant every day it seems attack on China. Even on threads that are nothing really to do with China. You are one of them EC so why? What has changed in your mind?

And before anyone has a go, I am not defending the CCP or being pro-authoritarian. I am genuinely interested in what is the cause.

Original Post Deleted
    I don't think I have changed that much, perhaps more accepting of reality, but there has been a change on here over the last few months. Do you remember so many anti China threads and posts going back over the years? There were always several (and justifiably) but not this many.

My "hypothesis" is that it is related to a generally pessimistic view of Hong Kong's future as expressed in many other threads. There just seems to be a generally down feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Perhaps but not a significant enough change to warrant the change on here. It used to be whinges about mainlanders now it is a constant every day it seems attack on China. Even on threads that are nothing really to do with China. What has changed in your mind?
    Perhaps my mind has changed but there has been a seismic shift in China.

Where the country was experimenting on many fronts with policy trials and initiatives generally aimed at normalising the country this has stopped. The rhetoric has also changed to one of personality cults and nationalism.

In the last few years this had had a direct impact on Hong Kong with more involvement in local politics by the CCP and a continued decline in the quality of governance. When the dictatorship of Xi falls and is hopefully replaced by a more progressive leader / system then I suspect the criticisms will become less.

I am very anti China and against everything the party stands for but on the other hand I don’t live there so my criticism is just empty and meaningless. To the people who actually live there based on my own interactions with them as their colleague I do understand they take pride in their country and it’s rise. Rightly so!

Historically the Chinese people had always been poor, run by one dynasty to the next, mired in poverty and ignorance. The CCP has changed all that to the better or at least basic needs are met and more. China does provide opportunities to those who work hard. My team in Shanghai reflects this social change. Is there a free press? No. Is there democracy? No. From my western eyes I find it unacceptable but again I take these rights for granted just as I take where my next meal for granted and anything that came easy for me due to some birth right. China has never been more prosperous and her people better for it. Politically what good for the Chinese may not be better for the west or the world in many ways but this is their time and we had ours.

civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine:
    I am very anti China and against everything the party stands for but on the other hand I don’t live there so my criticism is just empty and meaningless. To the people who actually live there based on my own interactions with them as their colleague I do understand they take pride in their country and it’s rise. Rightly so!

Historically the Chinese people had always been poor, run by one dynasty to the next, mired in poverty and ignorance. The CCP has changed all that to the better or at least basic needs are met and more. China does provide opportunities to those who work hard. My team in Shanghai reflects this social change. Is there a free press? No. Is there democracy? No. From my western eyes I find it unacceptable but again I take these rights for granted just as I take where my next meal for granted and anything that came easy for me due to some birth right. China has never been more prosperous and her people better for it. Politically what good for the Chinese may not be better for the west or the world in many ways but this is their time and we had ours.
    The chattering middle classes chatter even in Shanghai. Most have great pride in the progress of the nation but many can see flawed policies, political ineptitude and social mistreatment. To never criticize any government policy would surely be somewhat strange for the modern urbanites.

The below article is not to anti-china but paints a picture of China's direction under Xi compared to a few years before (would not be able to post this after Article 23 comes in!!)
    http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2018/11...er-xi-jinping/
    Last edited by East_coast; 26-11-2018 at 07:59 PM.