Like Tree8Likes

A massacre happened in Florida

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A massacre happened in Florida

It barely made the news....

I dont know if its because there is too much killing and this one is getting lost in the shuffle
    or
    Drumpf, Stone, Venezuela, Kushner and other scintillating news filling the airwaves
    or
    he is not of a particular skin colour

No matter, the crime is horrific and the lack of outrage & muted coverage of such an incident is oddly interesting and puzzling.

The 21-year-old gunman who took over a SunTrust Bank in Florida made five women lie down on the floor before shooting them in the head. Police said there's no indication the gunman intended to rob the bank, nor is he connected to the victims
    https://1010wins.radio.com/articles/...was-random-act

I think we as a collective on Geo have stopped giving a flying fuck about these shootings in the US, along with some other changes if you have not noticed the relative calmness on here.

East_coast and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I think we as a collective on Geo have stopped giving a flying fuck about these shootings in the US, along with some other changes if you have not noticed the relative calmness on here.
    You would have thought it would have received media coverage though. VERY nasty mass killing.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Its not the shooting - but the very muted coverage.
    It barely registered a ripple in the press, USA as well as worldwide. Thats the odd part.

The calmness here is very refreshing, thank you - but that doesnt explain why such a horrific crime didn't make it to the front pages and doesnt explain how quickly it's moving off from memory.

In some twisted way the lack of coverage may in fact prevent future identical shootings. Since there is zero chance that guns will be banned in the land of the great it may as well be better not to give these demented shooting idiots too much media coverage as it in turn seems to inspire other demented shooting idiots to copycat..

MABinPengChau and kittykaitak like this.

Some US news outlets will no longer report the name of the gunman (this is on TV) so that the gunman gets no fame from the shootings...instead they beef up reporting on the victims...worth a try anyway.

kittykaitak likes this.

Today when I woke up, there was air.

It's very much become part of their culture and widely accepted. Just as gun ownership is pushed when the mass majority of Americans are uneducated ...

I've leave the dots for you to fill in.

Notes: I am American

Original Post Deleted
    No - thousands of people died, of a variety of avoidable causes. And while this is certainly more tragic than there being air, it is in no way more newsworthy. Regarding gun deaths in the US, there is practically no one in the US left without the information needed to form an opinion. In what way would reporting this murderer's actions be relevant? All it could potentially do is give him a platform (and I much rather have his worthless face off the interweb everywhere), or trigger imitators who are craving their own five minutes of infamy.

I much rather have the news report students going on strike due to their government's inaction on climate change. Maybe here we can move a few people's minds and save our own species from extinction.
    MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    No - thousands of people died, of a variety of avoidable causes. And while this is certainly more tragic than there being air, it is in no way more newsworthy. Regarding gun deaths in the US, there is practically no one in the US left without the information needed to form an opinion.
    I think its more than that. The following are not wholly my words, I've shamelessly copied and pasted parts of them but I'm in 100% agreement with them:

In the last 3 Days:
    •White man kills 5 women in FL
    •White man kills 5 ppl in LA
    •White man caught w/plans to mass murder women
    •2 White Men plead guilty to bombing a Mosque & plans to bomb abortion clinic

There is muted coverage in the press and no mention at all from the govt.
    Imagine if you will one or all of the above were attributed to Muslims/Immigrants/Mexicans/Black men..
    Would it make news? Would parts of the govt be howling about it, a wall, closing borders etc etc.
    But because its all white men.....crickets.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast