Like Tree11Likes

Changing the name of the "Philippines" into "Maharlika"

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HongkongTheGreat:
    That is another issues about bringing back the baybayin scripts as our national alphabets. I agreed with that.
    I think it (they) should be taught in schools, too much wonderful heritage and history has been lost. But until people can read the signs no point having them.
    HongkongTheGreat likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I think if that was the case Clark would have been renamed. Looks like becoming the new capital but named by the Americans and after an American.

HongkongTheGreat
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I think it (they) should be taught in schools, too much wonderful heritage and history has been lost. But until people can read the signs no point having them.
    They should have taught it in school first. or Mandate that all Filipino need to learn this script.
    hullexile likes this.

Retaining the name that honors an oppressing colonial power is not logical. It should have been changed long ago...

So Victoria harbour becomes Hong Kong Harbour?

I hope that in time, HK will honor its own people and street and place names will be replaced with something more meaningful to the local population than those of faraway colonial masters.

Name changes are common. The communists did it in Eastern Europe, then after the fall of communism a lot of names got reverted back.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Name changes are common. The communists did it in Eastern Europe, then after the fall of communism a lot of names got reverted back.
    Also in the Far East such as territories that were ceded to Russia from China such as 伯力

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The archipelago/country known in english as the Philippines has a very large number of regional languages and ethnicities. In tagalog, the official but not exactly nationally dominant local lingua franca, the country is known as Pilipinas.

Tagalog is native language only to people in central parts of the northern island of Luzon.

According to Wikipedia, the Maharlika were the feudal warrior class in ancient Tagalog society in Luzon.

Isn't wanting to name an entire multi-ethnic and multi-lingual country after one local feudal warrior class somewhat akin to some people in Madrid demanding that the country's existing name, España, be changed to Los Hidalgos?

Would the Pilipinas strongman Duterte expect the name of the Philippines to be changed in other countries and languages too? The Wiki page provides an easy way to see what the Philippines is called in various languages.

While I suspect that in Duterte's case politics and nationalism might play a role here, I can actually understand the rationale for some people wanting a better "home-grown" name for the country. I'm just not sure if "Maharlika" is something that all the peoples and language groups of the country can associate with.

If the Tibetans and Uighurs one day regain independence from the Han Chinese empire, I'm sure they'll be using their native language name for their respective countries rather than the pekingese "Xizang" (“Western treasurehouse”) or "Xinjiang" ("New frontier").

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

The archipelago/country known in english as the Philippines has a very large number of regional languages and ethnicities. In tagalog, the official but not exactly nationally dominant local lingua franca, the country is known as Pilipinas.

Tagalog is native language only to people in central parts of the northern island of Luzon.

According to Wikipedia, the Maharlika were the feudal warrior class in ancient Tagalog society in Luzon.

Isn't wanting to name an entire multi-ethnic and multi-lingual country after one local feudal warrior class somewhat akin to some people in Madrid demanding that the country's existing name, España, be changed to Los Hidalgos?

Would the Pilipinas strongman Duterte expect the name of the Philippines to be changed in other countries and languages too? The Wiki page provides an easy way to see what the Philippines is called in various languages.

While I suspect that in Duterte's case politics and nationalism might play a role here, I can actually understand the rationale for some people wanting a better "home-grown" name for the country. I'm just not sure if "Maharlika" is something that all the peoples and language groups of the country can associate with.

If the Tibetans and Uighurs one day regain independence from the Han Chinese empire, I'm sure they'll be using their native language name for their respective countries rather than the pekingese "Xizang" (“Western treasurehouse”) or "Xinjiang" ("New frontier").
    If you Google you will find two meanings, one is the one you link to and the other is "majestic, kingly, stately". [ which brings up the strange title then of "majestic republic" )

Duterte loathes the Manila elite and doesn't exactly love Tagalog.

Maharlika is not his idea, this is a suggested name that has been around for decades, 1960s or earlier.

Again he is not pushing it he just said "perhaps someday we should change the name". And perhaps they should. It would require a Constitutional change and a plebiscite so it would be the decision of the Filipinos.

P.S. If you look at an earlier post of mine you will see a map of the pre-colonial major languages and their modern equivalents,