Like Tree66Likes

Shamima Begum, Bethnal Green girl who fled to Syria

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Terrible. Home office strikes again.

Quote Original Post:
    Or is psychologcally damaged, for example having two of your babies die can be a bit upsetting I would have thought.
    Perhaps, but it is entirely possible to be too lenient. You could use this defense for any crime by saying that the perp is psychologically damaged. I think it's hard to be sympathetic in this case given the death of her two children haven't made her remorseful.

Some other article said UK nationality had been stripped for other UK citizens of Bangladeshi descent (similar to this case) but had been reversed on appeal. Seems the government may just want her jumping through a lot of hoops to come back...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8645241.html

Last edited by MABinPengChau; 20-02-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Original Post:
    Or is psychologcally damaged, for example having two of your babies die can be a bit upsetting I would have thought.
    Prisons are full of people who experienced psychological damage in their childhoods. At a certain point personal responsibility kicks in.

I dont believe for one second that she didnt know children were killed in the Manchester bombing. If you watch that video I posted she does a horrible job feigning surprise. To me that reads as insincerity not damage.

Quote Original Post:
    Prisons are full of people who experienced psychological damage in their childhoods. At a certain point personal responsibility kicks in.

I dont believe for one second that she didnt know children were killed in the Manchester bombing. If you watch that video I posted she does a horrible job feigning surprise. To me that reads as insincerity not damage.
    If you read my first post on this thread you will see I still consider her a threat because of her attitude. You can be both totally in the wrong even evil and be psychologically damaged. The latter does not avoid punishment in most cases. Take the banker who tortured and murdered those Indonesians, I think he is seriously fucked up mentally but I hope he rots in jail.

Quote Original Post:
    Why would you even want to come back to a place and know that you will be persecuted and face massive discrimination upon return in the first place?
    For the sake of having safety and a quality of life, I think that is a very small price to pay!

Quote Original Post:
    She is either very stupid or a full blown psychopath. Her interviews display a shocking lack of remorse. She could barely put together a half-assed apology when her life literally depended on it. Any more reasonable person would have crocodile tears saying how much she loves the Queen and the BBC just to get sympathy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGAxm6KJTWE
    I found that interview shocking. I couldn't believe how the interviewer -- a white older man -- spoke to her. Is he a journalist or an angry father telling off a daughter? I, too, would feel very awkward being spoken at in that way, and I think that's what leads to any sense of a lack of remorse. She's being forced to be defensive, and I think for a (already proven somewhat dumb) 19 year old she's making an attempt to explain herself.

Like hull said, 15 year-olds are capable of a lot of dumb moves. I hope she's able to get the help she needs and see it for the mercy it is.

Quote Original Post:
    I found that interview shocking. I couldn't believe how the interviewer -- a white older man -- spoke to her. Is he a journalist or an angry father telling off a daughter? I, too, would feel very awkward being spoken at in that way, and I think that's what leads to any sense of a lack of remorse.
    Her first interview showed a similar lack of remorse and the tone was much gentler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SooDVtENq9c
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Original Post:
    I hadn't realised she had dual nationality
    She doesn't. The Home Office has just decided it could possibly be someone else's problem so decided to give it a whirl. Appalling decision by a Home Secretary who seems desperate to prove something, but what & to whom?

Making a person stateless on the off-chance a developing nation will be eternally grateful for the opportunity to scoop up the refuse of the UK seems a tad 'colonialist' to me. The UK provided an environment where their born-in-the-UK citizen was able to grow up exposed to brain-washing ideology, facilitated an isolationist approach to the integration of immigrant families and now decide to wash their hands when the outcome proves unpalatable. I hope they win their review, it's a disgusting way for a modern state to act.

And the press can cop some of the criticism for this as well. The Times went looking for any UK citizen in the refugee camps to make a story on, and once found they all descended like vultures trying to out-do the other in getting inflammatory comments from a woman who, in the case of Sky News & BBC, had just given birth hours before. In the Sky interview her eyes were rolling about, at one point I thought she had fallen asleep.
    shri, civil_servant and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Original Post:
    She doesn't. The Home Office has just decided it could possibly be someone else's problem so decided to give it a whirl. Appalling decision by a Home Secretary who seems desperate to prove something, but what & to whom?

Making a person stateless on the off-chance a developing nation will be eternally grateful for the opportunity to scoop up the refuse of the UK seems a tad 'colonialist' to me. The UK provided an environment where their born-in-the-UK citizen was able to grow up exposed to brain-washing ideology, facilitated an isolationist approach to the integration of immigrant families and now decide to wash their hands when the outcome proves unpalatable. I hope they win their review, it's a disgusting way for a modern state to act.

And the press can cop some of the criticism for this as well. The Times went looking for any UK citizen in the refugee camps to make a story on, and once found they all descended like vultures trying to out-do the other in getting inflammatory comments from a woman who, in the case of Sky News & BBC, had just given birth hours before. In the Sky interview her eyes were rolling about, at one point I thought she had fallen asleep.
    Are you sure. The Home Sec said they would not remove citizenship if that would make someone stateless. That surely means she must have another citizenship.

Quote Original Post:
    Are you sure. The Home Sec said they would not remove citizenship if that would make someone stateless. That surely means she must have another citizenship.
    Not just the Home Office, internal conventions say you can't make someone stateless and the UK I'm sure would stand by that.

However, the Home Office says she has another citizenship, the family says she doesn't. Off to the courts....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast