Like Tree66Likes

Shamima Begum, Bethnal Green girl who fled to Syria

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Some other article said UK nationality had been stripped for other UK citizens of Bangladeshi descent (similar to this case) but had been reversed on appeal. Seems the government may just want her jumping through a lot of hoops to come back...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8645241.html

Last edited by MABinPengChau; 20-02-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Or is psychologcally damaged, for example having two of your babies die can be a bit upsetting I would have thought.
    Prisons are full of people who experienced psychological damage in their childhoods. At a certain point personal responsibility kicks in.

I don’t believe for one second that she didn’t know children were killed in the Manchester bombing. If you watch that video I posted she does a horrible job feigning surprise. To me that reads as insincerity not damage.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Prisons are full of people who experienced psychological damage in their childhoods. At a certain point personal responsibility kicks in.

I don’t believe for one second that she didn’t know children were killed in the Manchester bombing. If you watch that video I posted she does a horrible job feigning surprise. To me that reads as insincerity not damage.
    If you read my first post on this thread you will see I still consider her a threat because of her attitude. You can be both totally in the wrong even evil and be psychologically damaged. The latter does not avoid punishment in most cases. Take the banker who tortured and murdered those Indonesians, I think he is seriously fucked up mentally but I hope he rots in jail.

Original Post Deleted
    I found that interview shocking. I couldn't believe how the interviewer -- a white older man -- spoke to her. Is he a journalist or an angry father telling off a daughter? I, too, would feel very awkward being spoken at in that way, and I think that's what leads to any sense of a lack of remorse. She's being forced to be defensive, and I think for a (already proven somewhat dumb) 19 year old she's making an attempt to explain herself.

Like hull said, 15 year-olds are capable of a lot of dumb moves. I hope she's able to get the help she needs and see it for the mercy it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I found that interview shocking. I couldn't believe how the interviewer -- a white older man -- spoke to her. Is he a journalist or an angry father telling off a daughter? I, too, would feel very awkward being spoken at in that way, and I think that's what leads to any sense of a lack of remorse.
    Her first interview showed a similar lack of remorse and the tone was much gentler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SooDVtENq9c
    Elegiaque likes this.

I hadn't realised she had dual nationality
    She doesn't. The Home Office has just decided it could possibly be someone else's problem so decided to give it a whirl. Appalling decision by a Home Secretary who seems desperate to prove something, but what & to whom?

Making a person stateless on the off-chance a developing nation will be eternally grateful for the opportunity to scoop up the refuse of the UK seems a tad 'colonialist' to me. The UK provided an environment where their born-in-the-UK citizen was able to grow up exposed to brain-washing ideology, facilitated an isolationist approach to the integration of immigrant families and now decide to wash their hands when the outcome proves unpalatable. I hope they win their review, it's a disgusting way for a modern state to act.

And the press can cop some of the criticism for this as well. The Times went looking for any UK citizen in the refugee camps to make a story on, and once found they all descended like vultures trying to out-do the other in getting inflammatory comments from a woman who, in the case of Sky News & BBC, had just given birth hours before. In the Sky interview her eyes were rolling about, at one point I thought she had fallen asleep.
    shri, civil_servant and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    She doesn't. The Home Office has just decided it could possibly be someone else's problem so decided to give it a whirl. Appalling decision by a Home Secretary who seems desperate to prove something, but what & to whom?

Making a person stateless on the off-chance a developing nation will be eternally grateful for the opportunity to scoop up the refuse of the UK seems a tad 'colonialist' to me. The UK provided an environment where their born-in-the-UK citizen was able to grow up exposed to brain-washing ideology, facilitated an isolationist approach to the integration of immigrant families and now decide to wash their hands when the outcome proves unpalatable. I hope they win their review, it's a disgusting way for a modern state to act.

And the press can cop some of the criticism for this as well. The Times went looking for any UK citizen in the refugee camps to make a story on, and once found they all descended like vultures trying to out-do the other in getting inflammatory comments from a woman who, in the case of Sky News & BBC, had just given birth hours before. In the Sky interview her eyes were rolling about, at one point I thought she had fallen asleep.
    Are you sure. The Home Sec said they would not remove citizenship if that would make someone stateless. That surely means she must have another citizenship.

Are you sure. The Home Sec said they would not remove citizenship if that would make someone stateless. That surely means she must have another citizenship.
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/section/40

But that does not prevent the Secretary of State from making an order under subsection (2) to deprive a person of a citizenship status if—
    (a)the citizenship status results from the person's naturalisation,
    (b)the Secretary of State is satisfied that the deprivation is conducive to the public good because the person, while having that citizenship status, has conducted him or herself in a manner which is seriously prejudicial to the vital interests of the United Kingdom, any of the Islands, or any British overseas territory, and
    (c)the Secretary of State has reasonable grounds for believing that the person is able, under the law of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom, to become a national of such a country or territory.
    Based on the above, as long as he thinks she can become a national of another country, he can revoke the citizenship.
    shri and hullexile like this.

Shamima doesn't have another passport, the Home Office has decided that because her mother is Bangladeshi, Shamima can apply for citizenship by descent of Bangladesh. She was born in UK to parents legally settled, she has never been to Bangladesh, and I wonder what the Bangladesh government will make of this.

hullexile likes this.

In the article I cited above, it was found to be illegal to revoke the citizenship of Bangladeshi-descent citizens born in the UK who did not register Bangladeshi nationality by age 21 (Bangladesh rules). So she can win on this point. But curious if they say she can get Dutch citizenship through her husband...

Last edited by MABinPengChau; 20-02-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast