Like Tree30Likes

Cardinal Pell gets 6 years

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    They can go on for years though. Why should Pell get a gagging order to ensure justice but an average Australian would not? If publicity means an unfair trial then all cases should be automatically subject to a gagging order.
    He is a public figure and religion is highly emotive especially when sex crimes against minors. It is not hard to imagine public spats on the role of organised religion in facilitating these crimes and the good religion can do. Such noise could influence the jury far more than a person who was not a public figure in a religious organisation. It would seem a sensible use of a super-gagging order.

Original Post Deleted
    QED

Imagine if a person with similar views as the above poster was a person of influence in your life and you were a juror. If such a high profile case they may find out your a juror if it was in the press and they may be likely to try to influence you outside the court. If they did and it became known this could result in a miscarriage of justice and the person getting off. Therefore a super-gag order is a case of being safe than sorry.
    Last edited by East_coast; 26-03-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    jgl and HK_Katherine like this.

Yep George Pell is behind bars ( 10 years ) where that, Rock Spider belongs... Personally, I am over hearing about this Rock Spider, his religious position has no meaning to me, whatsoever.

I also found it pretty abhorrent that, little Johnny Howard, came out of prime ministerial retirement mothballs, to give 'it' a character' reference ! once a two bit small town lawyer, always a two bit small town lawyer..

Makes my skin crawl..

juanalias likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    They can go on for years though. Why should Pell get a gagging order to ensure justice but an average Australian would not? If publicity means an unfair trial then all cases should be automatically subject to a gagging order.
    the avergage australian, would not make the washington post or NYT... 100pc sure of that. may only make page 24 of the local newspaper. hence not in need of a gag order.

this person is an international figure who stirs up a lot of emotions evidently...

what i hate is the american media who have a better than thou / arrogant attitude and ignored a valid australian court order. i would challenge them to violate a Supreme Court order...

Original Post Deleted
    Apologies, I was just trying to illustrate that the case was too serious and has the potential from interference if a media circus surrounds it. My opinion - A Super Gag Order works for such cases ensuring a safe verdict.
    juanalias likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Justice is not a subject for intellectualising over?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Justice is not a subject for intellectualising over?
    OK did not see the later posts. Ignore mine. You have both made much better points.

Original Post Deleted
    because the subject matter relates directly to an Australian court case.

Quote Originally Posted by ermen:
    because the subject matter relates directly to an Australian court case.
    Whaaa....?

well the Washington Post and NYT are in contempt

its just they dont have any Australian assets / presence hence can stay away for the moment.

why is the wikileaks person (an aussie) being pursued by the US now anyway?