Like Tree22Likes

Brexit 2.0 - October 31, 2019

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    They were talking about these issues but one side was stopped from continuing.

It would appear sensible to have politicians who will be directly affected by the outcome and know the complex history leading the local political discussions. That was the preferred approach but the Irish / UK border is seen as the EU / 'UK' border to the negotiating team in Brussels so preferences where changed for one side.
    It is both an Irish and an EU border obviously. There is no point an Irish/UK agreement that doesn't comply with EU requirements. Can you link to something that shows they are not allowed to talk?

Can you clarify what you are talking about.
    I'm talking about your preference for bilateral talks. They don't work if multiple parties, cross-regional treaties, and laws are involved. The parliament of Catalonia can't just decide to become independent on their own.

Perhaps you could answer the question if you would be happy for your home countries legislature to ratify the deal being offered Mrs May. A straight yes / no otherwise wafflelication about Catalonia or echo chambers or whatever will be taken as a no.
    No one is forcing them. There are plenty of other options. Customs union, Common market 2.0, No Deal, Revoke, Confirmatory vote, etc. Which one would you choose?

Now let's hear your answers besides you waffling about concessions, tweaks, peaceful solutions? Words that have no meaning. You haven't even demonstrated that you understand the underlying political issues involved around the Irish border. Yet here you are pretending you can magically come up with all the solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    It is both an Irish and an EU border obviously. There is no point an Irish/UK agreement that doesn't comply with EU requirements. Can you link to something that shows they are not allowed to talk?
    It was in politico.eu and a few of the Irish papers in 2017/18

It is also in the below summary

http://www.politico.eu/article/how-u...u-negotiation/

It was in politico.eu and a few of the Irish papers in 2017/18

It is also in the below summary

http://www.politico.eu/article/how-u...u-negotiation/
    Unless I am missing something that says no bilateral negotiations not they can't talk.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I'm talking about your preference for bilateral talks. They don't work if multiple parties, cross-regional treaties, and laws are involved. The parliament of Catalonia can't just decide to become independent on their own.
    I have no idea what you are talking about in relation to the way article 50 is negotiated.

You haven't even demonstrated that you understand the underlying political issues involved around the Irish border. Yet here you are pretending you can magically come up with all the solutions.
    I have stated clearly I don't think the approach being used is the best for the long term. Far too centralised and decisions being made by a team in brussels with no involvement in the local players that I can see. That approach doesn't seem to fit with the GFA.

No one is forcing them. There are plenty of other options. Customs union, Common market 2.0, No Deal, Revoke, Confirmatory vote, etc. Which one would you choose?
    I'll take that as a clear no you would not be happy if your home country ratified the agreement offered to Teresa May. Interesting.

Unless I am missing something that says no bilateral negotiations not they can't talk.
    Anyone can talk but there needs to be give and take otherwise it is just chin wagging and the decision of what actually happens is still in Brussels. The DUP will meet the EU team for the first time today after the declaration by the EU that no changes can be made to the planned new constitutional arrangement for their electorates. I suspect Ms Foster will be in a bigger rage than normal.

Anyone can talk but there needs to be give and take otherwise it is just chin wagging and the decision of what actually happens is still in Brussels. The DUP will meet the EU team for the first time today after the declaration by the EU that no changes can be made to the planned new constitutional arrangement for their electorates. I suspect Ms Foster will be in a bigger rage than normal.
    I don't know about you but I can talk without give and take. Representatives from the countries and groups can sit down and cover issues, needs, suggestions, possible solutions. This can then be fed back to the negotiation teams. Nothing you have said or linked to prevents this. Of course it would require a UK government that was willing to listen.

You said they could not talk, do you nw change that to they can't negotiate?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    New deadline...
    EU leaders agree to delay Brexit until 31 October – live news
    Good. I was getting tired of this stuff anyway.
    Lets take a break, shall we ?

----> The Commons rise today at 5pm and will not return until Tuesday April 23

You said they could not talk, do you nw change that to they can't negotiate?
    Ireland & the UK can talk but we will have to wait and see if anything constructive will come of it. If the UK is heading for a hard Brexit I would hope there is plenty of dialogue between the various levels of the Irish and UK&NI governments.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast