Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

GSIS & The Prickly Matter of Language Requirements for Board Members

rs4

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    German tutor here. $2000/hr. PM me.

Nah, just joking. Make that double. Then PM me.
    Does it come with Sauerkraut and Schweinshaxe?

Quote Originally Posted by rs4
    Does it come with Sauerkraut and Schweinshaxe?
    Zat vood be extra 10%.

From the grapevine this has more to do with the international stream exerting more influence and potentially changing the school a little bit....

The German speaking "rule" would prevent these international board members from exerting proper (or perhaps improper, from the other side's perspective) influence on matters which will come up for vote.

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    From the grapevine this has more to do with the international stream exerting more influence and potentially changing the school a little bit....

The German speaking "rule" would prevent these international board members from exerting proper (or perhaps improper, from the other side's perspective) influence on matters which will come up for vote.
    The fairest thing would be that a number of non-German speakers can stand in proportion to their % of the school.

Does anyone know how it breaks down? I know at FIS the majority of children are in the French stream and only about 100 per year in the international section.

The fairest thing would be that a number of non-German speakers can stand in proportion to their % of the school.
    Some might say whoever pays the bills has the largest vote.... but what do I know.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Some might say whoever pays the bills has the largest vote.... but what do I know.
    That goes back to my question - what's the breakdown between Germans vs internationals? The Germans pay the same tuition fees plus their government throws a few million USD a year to maintain the school.

Speaking a language is a skill, it has nothing to do with race. Plenty of jobs are advertised with requirements of speaking English, Cantonese mandarin etc... If they required the person to be a German national, that would be another matter. Is it an issue for ESF schools to require that people speak English?

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    What are you talking about?

How is a "must speak German" policy racist? Which races does it include, and which races does it exclude?

Is this the same brilliant logic that leads HK schools to hire white people from Germany as "English teachers" and reject Asians who are native English speakers for the same jobs?
    Grrrr...
    You offered a multi-ethnic football team as evidence against Germany being racist. I told you the ethnicity of footballers is not a valid barometer of state attitudes.
    I think it best we never speak again...

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    I've always wondered about this school, in the sense that German culture has a very set way of doing things and anyone who has spent time working or living there would know it. Having done so myself, I wouldn't rank a German school high on my list. So regardless of how prestigious the international section is or how much it costs (which in HK obviously means it's good), it's still a German school funded by the German government and you're only there as an additional revenue stream on the side.

The racial prejudice argument seems like a huge leap to me, German language ability is not genetic, anyone can learn it and plenty of German citizens have African, Asian, middle Eastern heritage. Look at their national football team, I think whites are a minority!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCJu71JxmbE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2