Like Tree17Likes

Sri Lanka bombings - churches, hotels - 150+ dead

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sri Lanka bombings - churches, hotels - 150+ dead

The news is unfolding.

Unusual to see intolerance and violence against other religion from buddhists(allegedly). Just goes to say, it's people that are dangerous not the beliefs(or lack of) they hold.

hannah01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Unusual to see intolerance and violence against other religion from buddhists(allegedly). Just goes to say, it's people that are dangerous not the beliefs(or lack of) they hold.
    Myanmar is another example. This is horrible news.

Very sad. Thoughts and prayers.

More than 200 dead, 450 injured. No group has claimed responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    My prayers are with family and friends with people who suffered.

I wouldn't jump the gun and wait for investigation. Blaming someone without evidence is also one type of intolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by PKS_2000:
    My prayers are with family and friends with people who suffered.

I wouldn't jump the gun and wait for investigation. Blaming someone without evidence is also one type of intolerance.
    First there has been numerous reports of intolerance involving buddhists in Sri Lanka and second, if you know the meaning of allegedly then you would realize that I made no conclusions

Quote Originally Posted by PKS_2000:
    I wouldn’t believe anything the Mail ever wrote!

We are in Sri Lanka now. Fortunately left Columbo area on Friday and now inland. Everything shut down though. Curfew from 6pm to 6am. Holed up in out hotel in Kandy. Not sure we will get to visit the places we want to tomorrow.
    TheBrit, hullexile and Edwardstorm like this.

It appears that the attacks were perpetrated by 7 suicide bombers and a number of people have already been arrested. No one has claimed responsibility and for the moment, the government is keeping things close to the vest. The islamic connection appears to be coming from a police officer who apparently alerted security officers of a possible threat to churches from a radical islamic group 10 days ago. Government officials have indicated they believe the attackers were part of a greater international network which could also be interpreted as a hint that the attacks were connected to islamic fundamentalists. I imagine more will be revealed once the situation stabilizes.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast