Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8
Like Tree45Likes

China Trade War - Friday 10/5/19 Tariff Day?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/17/b...jGqPg5TXpg6ZvA

For the tl:dr crowd this summarizes the article nicely

The dilemma for China is that the longer the trade war lasts, the more companies may decide to invest elsewhere. For now, domestic politics seem more important in China, with the leadership and the general public reacting angrily to what is portrayed in the country as peremptory American demands.

No more google apps for HUAWEI which doesn’t matter for the home market but will matter for Europe

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...urce=applenews

Huawei Technologies Co Ltd will immediately lose access to updates to the Android operating system, and the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app.

Must suck to have a Huawei phone now
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 20-05-2019 at 08:07 AM.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    Must suck to have a Huawei phone now
    "Holders of current Huawei smartphones with Google apps, however, will continue to be able to use and download app updates provided by Google, a Google spokesperson said, confirming earlier reporting by Reuters."

Doesn't affect current users, only future ones. Short Huawei and long Xiaomi.
    civil_servant likes this.

This doesn't have much impact for Huawei users I don't think. Huawei will be pushed to develop their own system I believe. It'll be worse for users since they don't have the expertise to do it. Growing pains etc. But long term if they are able to get through it, it'll be better for them. In China they couldn't use any google apps anyway, so Google doesn't care. Maybe they still got paid for using the OS? I don't know.

Xiaomi is so far behind in China it's not even a competition. BTW XIaomi's MIUI is still based off of Android, and most recently Android P, so it's not like they don't risk Google pulling from them too. This will result in a branching off of Android or a creation of a new mobile OS. Kinda scary since it even took Google many years to come up with something more reliable. Mostly this just affects users in China anyway, since Users in US is mostly Apple/Samsung/LG.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Just requires time and money. Plenty of companies already relocating US-bound production out of China - Ricoh is one of the latest to publicly state so. In three or four years any company could relocate the majority of their China factories to India, Thailand, Vietnam, Mexico or even some African countries at a stretch.

Unless China backs down this will happen, IMO.

Trump is right that the US is in a much stronger position in this trade war. China has plenty of cards to play but I think most of the trump cards like with the US (pun half intended).
    Yes not trivial but possible. The more sophisticated the factory, the less likely it will move quickly. However, it definitely pushes a lot of the easier stuff like apparel, plastic etc out. Margins are tight and lower value, more labor intensive. They were moving out already anyway due to increases in costs of manufacturing in China and their own push to evolve the economy. The Chinese government wants so badly to move to high tech they basically undercut a lot of what brought them there, which is a bit short sighted but also with a look to the future I guess. It's just how they do things. How this plays out who knows, but I doubt there are any real winners in this.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8