Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes

Vietnam: damaging anti-state propaganda could mean heavy jail sentence

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    According to Facebook, a man expressed critical comments about government plans to drop a sudden and comparatively huge (1000) influx of Syrian immigrants his tiny town of 6500 (Isle of Bute).

With no complaints and based on a report, the police arrested him saying they “would not tolerate any speech that would give offense”.

I also saw an article some time ago that there was pressure on the government to amend hate crime legislation to remove reference to insult or offense as people were being jailed for just that. Sounds like draconian blasphemy laws to me.

“In December last year, it was reported that Facebook, Twitter and Google had teamed up with German law enforcement to delete “hate speech” within 24 hours, in what was seen as being a last-ditch effort to silence public dissent about the million plus uncontrolled arrivals.
    - Facebook ‘Notes’
    That is completely different to dissent against the state as per the article. I am all for hate speech being punished, it leads to horrific murderous acts. Not the same in any shape or form as jailing someone for criticising the state.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    That is completely different to dissent against the state as per the article. I am all for hate speech being punished, it leads to horrific murderous acts. Not the same in any shape or form as jailing someone for criticising the state.
    I could argue this, the Scot was criticizing a government program. He was arrested under the Communications Act for as offensive post. As facebook noted, they were targeting to silence public dissent against a government immigration program. Anyways...
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    I could argue this, the Scot was criticizing a government program. He was arrested under the Communications Act for as offensive post. As facebook noted, they were targeting to silence public dissent against a government immigration program. Anyways...
    I think the test is whether in a particular country is it allowed to be very critical of the government. In the UK there is plenty of evidence, especially at the moment, that dissent is allowed. In Vietnam I don't think that is the case.
    shri likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2