Like Tree7Likes

Hikvision Cameras - A Security Threat?

Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    735

    Or CCCC Dredging - the company that helped build China's islands in the South China Sea - wanted to go public. That was a while ago - I guess they scrapped it.

    https://www.ft.com/content/2bd0b16a-...e-00144feabdc0


  2. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    15

    I have a weatherproof Poe hikvision on my front door in London. Whenever someone presses the door bell it snaps a photo. Restricted it to only access 1 IP. Never found it trying to access anything else on the network!


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Galvs
    I have a weatherproof Poe hikvision on my front door in London. Whenever someone presses the door bell it snaps a photo. Restricted it to only access 1 IP. Never found it trying to access anything else on the network!
    By running Wireshark?

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Military bases too.

    Thing is though, I don't consider this really critical. It's not like this devices sit at the core of your network and handle all of your traffic. You don't let them talk to anything out on the internet.
    What if the network devices are also made in china, the "chip" designed to silently sending things out without trace?
    what if.... but I dont know.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,756
    Quote Originally Posted by bobobo
    What if the network devices are also made in china, the "chip" designed to silently sending things out without trace?
    First of all, there's no such thing at the network level about "sending things silently", you can trace this stuff. This is what my Wireshark question above was about.

    Secondly, you can just block stuff. You keep all traffic segregated away from other devices, for example you could you could have a network that only handles camera data and nothing else. Or at home, you can just block certain devices like IP cameras or your TV from accessing the internet (this is really easy). <- heavily simplified explanation that ignores a bunch of real world complications.
    shri, lovehunter and imparanoic like this.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    28,445

    My "like" was for this admission:

    heavily simplified explanation that ignores a bunch of real world complications.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    First of all, there's no such thing at the network level about "sending things silently", you can trace this stuff. This is what my Wireshark question above was about.
    Yes. U can put firewall, port monitoring, router etc to monitor/block your network.

    What i am saying its all still software/firmware controlling those network devices/network capture. Technically, from hardware/firmware hack perspective, I think it is possible to program to hide some stuff when you think you are monitoring everything.

    But of course from ISP level they will see those traffic, cause it still has to go out.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,842

    Headlines coming up saying up to five Chinese surveillance firms may be blacklisted by the US.

    shri likes this.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    28,445
    Quote Originally Posted by bobobo

    But of course from ISP level they will see those traffic, cause it still has to go out.
    You can monitor the traffic that goes from your router to the ISP. Sure, you might not know what it is, but you know the destination and type of packet leaving your network to the ISP.

    But yes, you're right - technically not easy to figure things out. For example, a device could send data out using gmail.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cramped island
    Posts
    3,795

    if the content of things that the camera can send out is so sensitive such that china government would find them useful, then having someone that doesn't understand how to block those signals from going out would be the reckless behavior..


Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast