Like Tree7Likes

Hikvision Cameras - A Security Threat?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hikvision Cameras - A Security Threat?

(Moved from https://geoexpat.com/forum/newpostinthread352904.html )

Looks like Hikvision could be next up on the Trump hitlist.

I thought he would be in favour of oppression of Muslims to be honest.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/21/u...ion-trump.html

Last edited by shri; 22-05-2019 at 09:41 AM.

I thought he would be in favour of oppression of Muslims to be honest.
    Aren't these cameras are used all over the US.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Hikivision... described as the biggest security camera manufacturer in the world. I did a quick search and there are 2018 articles talking about US government bans and concerns raised in UK parliament (the cameras are used in UK parliament according to articles I found).

As IP cameras go, they are very good. Way better than low end consumer crap like D-Link or whatever rubbish 'cloud connected' camera is the flavour of the month. Far better image quality than similar level Axis/Panasonic cameras which I've used. I lost the admin credentials on one of mine, and the process for resetting it is surprisingly convoluted- you have to contact Hikvision with purchase and device details for a reset code. I see this as a good thing which prevents the casual hijacking of devices. And this is just for cheapo SOHO gear.
    Last edited by jgl; 22-05-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    28% of revenues derive outside of China, but they don't break down the figures any further. I remember seeing a story about a public housing block in the US on Geoexpat not so long ago...

A search of .gov (US Govt domains) for HIKVISION cameras reveals they're used all over the US govt. Some embassy sites and quiet a few tender requests.

https://www.google.com/search?q=HIKV...ra+site%3A.gov

Military bases too.

Thing is though, I don't consider this really critical. It's not like this devices sit at the core of your network and handle all of your traffic. You don't let them talk to anything out on the internet.

I guess the concern (besides geopolitical posturing) is that if there are lots of them everywhere, someone is going to mess up their network design and let them talk to anyone else on the internet. But this applies to pretty much any simple network device, and all other makes of IP camera. It's guaranteed that anything made by, popular cheap manufacturers will come with a raft of known vulnerabilities that never get patched.

Last edited by jgl; 22-05-2019 at 09:52 AM.

(Moved this out to a new thread...)

A company owned by the Chinese government with senior management also working for the Ministry of Public Security or holding Communist Party posts is a threat to national security? You don't say

shri and ramelec like this.

SenseTime is a related Chinese tech startup that proved its mettle in Xinjiang - and now is doing its best to disassociate itself with the region.

Interesting how western capital markets are used for funding these companies.

https://www.ft.com/content/38aa038a-...5-3acd5d43599e

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast