Like Tree19Likes

Theresa May - Exited... 7th of June

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Thought Cameron was bad, then came May. Thought she was terrible, then came Boris?
    You left Gordon Brown off your list surely the worst of the lot?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    You left Gordon Brown off your list surely the worst of the lot?
    Different party and not Brexit related. There is no shortage of bad examples. I would rate May much worse than Brown.

Thought Cameron was bad, then came May. Thought she was terrible, then came Boris?

However badly May has managed Brexit, the crown for worst modern Prime Minister must go to Cameron, because without him there would have been no Brexit for May to fuck up. For the sake of settling an internal party division that threatened a local election nobody cared about, he has done more damage to the economy, the nation, & the international standing of the UK than any other Prime Minister since...well, probably since Oliver Cromwell.

That people would place wagers on political outcomes kind of reminds me of the corrupt late stages of the Roman empire. The most serious of issues are reduced to mere objects of greed. Then again some types trying to make bread out the British political circus is kind of fitting. O tempora o mores.

She is an ineffective leader who can't make decisions and makes chaos look boring. The UK should cancel article 50, re-focus on immediate national concerns and continue debating EU membership as a side-project.

Before any irreversible action is taken we need an indicative stance from the government on future personal duty free limits. There is a lot of momentum generated by booze cruise enthusiasts and casual Ricard importers that could have an impact on future leadership battles and national elections. This needs to be sorted out before anything else.

I do like Europe, but I'm still bitter about having bangers, cheap wine an a massive flick-knife confiscated 20 years ago on the way back from the French Exchange school trip, so I'd like any new PM to ensure this kind of injustice isn't served up to future generations. Having said that, I really like the government's plan of enabling that kind of freedom whilst keeping peace in northern island and delivering £350m/week to the NHS in a red bus. It all sounds really good. Theresa May's head on a plate is just a bonus.

To her credit, she had embraced ineffectual posturing, vague promises that can't be kept and attempting to appeal to groups with conflicting ideologies, which is fantastic and will surely lead to a positive outcome. For that she is a great leader.

For me, I'm very happy to have an Irish passport and can't wait for the rest of this interesting episode to reveal itself.

GentleGeorge likes this.

The devil you know > The devil you don't
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    However badly May has managed Brexit, the crown for worst modern Prime Minister must go to Cameron, because without him there would have been no Brexit for May to fuck up. For the sake of settling an internal party division that threatened a local election nobody cared about, he has done more damage to the economy, the nation, & the international standing of the UK than any other Prime Minister since...well, probably since Oliver Cromwell.
    So you are arguing that the constituents of many Conservative MP's were happy about the governance model of the EU and wanted to stay in the EU and it was just a pesky internal party issue? If the referendum had shown that a clear majority of the conservative voters did in fact want to stay then perhaps that would hold water.

By constituency By Party

Lab: 148 Leave | 84 Remain
    Con: 247 Leave | 80 Remain

Conservative MP's like the country were split over EU membership. The split in the Tory party is due to that annoying tradition called democracy.

The remain argument should of easily won as staying in the EU would of been better for the UK but for the majority the EU government has flaws and may of served its purpose unless it is destined to become a country and subsume nation states.

Perhaps the real issue for many remoaners wasn't the split in the Tory party that represented their electorate but that 'stupid' people voted the wrong way?

Last edited by East_coast; 25-05-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    So you are arguing that the constituents of many Conservative MP's were happy about the governance model of the EU and wanted to stay in the EU and it was just a pesky internal party issue? If the referendum had shown that a clear majority of the conservative voters did in fact want to stay then perhaps that would hold water.

By constituency By Party

Lab: 148 Leave | 84 Remain
    Con: 247 Leave | 80 Remain

Conservative MP's like the country were split over EU membership. The split in the Tory party is due to that annoying tradition called democracy.

The remain argument should of easily won as staying in the EU would of been better for the UK but for the majority the EU government has flaws and may of served its purpose unless it is destined to become a country and subsume nation states.

Perhaps the real issue for many remoaners wasn't the split in the Tory party that represented their electorate but that 'stupid' people voted the wrong way?

Ah yes Cameron did it all because of his deep love of democracy. Fairy tales of the 21st century.

To join that book we also have "May's fight against injustice" - tell that to those denied entry unfairly.
    civil_servant likes this.

Ah yes Cameron did it all because of his deep love of democracy.
    No underlying reason why the Tory party was so split over the role of the EU government and it was just a squabble within the party? Really

"May's fight against injustice" - tell that to those denied entry unfairly.
    I think she did this to look 'strong' but was wrong. No Home Secretary lasts if they appear weak from what I can see