Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree19Likes

Theresa May - Exited... 7th of June

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Ah yes Cameron did it all because of his deep love of democracy.
    No underlying reason why the Tory party was so split over the role of the EU government and it was just a squabble within the party? Really

"May's fight against injustice" - tell that to those denied entry unfairly.
    I think she did this to look 'strong' but was wrong. No Home Secretary lasts if they appear weak from what I can see

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    No underlying reason why the Tory party was so split over the role of the EU government and it was just a squabble within the party? Really

I think she did this to look 'strong' but was wrong. No Home Secretary lasts if they appear weak from what I can see
    I think you are the only person in the world who believes Cameron did it for democracy. You said yourself the UK should have stayed in the EU. Cameron did it to keep power, the same reason May called that disastrous election.

From Newsthump: "The new worst prime minister ever to be announced in June".

I think you are the only person in the world who believes Cameron did it for democracy. You said yourself the UK should have stayed in the EU. Cameron did it to keep power, the same reason May called that disastrous election.
    I agree Cameron did it to silence the EU sceptic members as it should of been a winnable vote.

I am arguing that there is a reason for Eurosceptic MPs is that the country was split and the parties MPs reflected this. That is the part most people ignore, they seem to suggest Eurosceptic MP's are the fault of a party. In the past Labour were more Eurosceptic than the Conservatives but political parties change over time.

I think the interesting thing in this leadership race will be watching politicians trying desperately not to denounce the May/EU deal as terrible as they will all know the EU will not negotiate further.

Last edited by East_coast; 25-05-2019 at 07:12 AM.

We should start a book on how long the next one lasts.

I think the odds of a no deal exit have increased. They will compete for the leadership on how really brexit they are, they will then need to deliver and stuff the consequences for the country.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    So you are arguing that the constituents of many Conservative MP's were happy about the governance model of the EU and wanted to stay in the EU and it was just a pesky internal party issue? If the referendum had shown that a clear majority of the conservative voters did in fact want to stay then perhaps that would hold water.
    There was no need for a referendum, the issue of EU membership had already been decided by the people. Having a second referendum disrespected the vote on the first referendum, it was undemocratic to ignore the overwhelming result of the 1st EU membership referendum. So Cameron not only destroyed the country, he threw democracy on the rubbish heap. He's far worse than I initially said. *

*This post is sarcastic**, please don't respond with an infographic.

** Maybe
    TigerSun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66
    There was no need for a referendum, the issue of EU membership had already been decided by the people. Having a second referendum disrespected the vote on the first referendum, it was undemocratic to ignore the overwhelming result of the 1st EU membership referendum. So Cameron not only destroyed the country, he threw democracy on the rubbish heap. He's far worse than I initially said. *

*This post is sarcastic**, please don't respond with an infographic.

** Maybe
    It is interesting that many of the people that voted to stay in the EEC voted not to be governed by the EU. But I argue that there should be a limit on how often a similar constitutional question can be asked. I would suggest 15 years.

Name:  FB_IMG_1558855009858.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  28.5 KB

Thought Cameron was bad, then came May. Thought she was terrible, then came Boris?
    Exactly. What will change? Not much.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3