View Poll Results: Which ones of the below are least bad?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sam Gyimah

0 0%
  • Rory Stewart

1 4.55%
  • Esther McVey

0 0%
  • Kit Malthouse

0 0%
  • Matt Hancock

0 0%
  • Andrea Leadsom

0 0%
  • Boris Johnson

9 40.91%
  • Michael Gove

0 0%
  • Sajid Javid

0 0%
  • Dominic Raab

0 0%
  • Jeremy Hunt

2 9.09%
  • Jeremy Corbyn

4 18.18%
  • Other

7 31.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree62Likes

Who will be the next UK PM?

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

To rehabilitate the North, we need to split the pound in two. Let's have a London pound and an ex-London pound.

Currently it's like Greece-Germany in The Euro. Pound is priced for inelastic financial service exports in the city of London, which squeezes out regional manufacturers and leads to a culture of dependency on fiscal transfers.

If they had their own currency to competitively devalue, it could kick start the rebirth of manufacturing, increase regional tourism (staycations look cheaper from London now), generally get the rest of the UK going again.

London exports suffer a bit, but that's 'rebalancing'.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    To rehabilitate the North, we need to split the pound in two. Let's have a London pound and an ex-London pound.

Currently it's like Greece-Germany in The Euro. Pound is priced for inelastic financial service exports in the city of London, which squeezes out regional manufacturers and leads to a culture of dependency on fiscal transfers.

If they had their own currency to competitively devalue, it could kick start the rebirth of manufacturing, increase regional tourism (staycations look cheaper from London now), generally get the rest of the UK going again.

London exports suffer a bit, but that's 'rebalancing'.
    What are you on about? Alternatively they could spend something on infrastructure. Perhaps it is beyond the wit of a public school, Oxbridge, educated government to work out regional development?

"Belt and Road for the North"? You could ask the CCP to help out, the North likes communism.

On the other hand I think the money would disappear into a swamp of corruption, cronyism and local political nepotism.

But we will get the chance to put my theory to the test... https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49132477

"Belt and Road for the North"? You could ask the CCP to help out, the North likes communism.

On the other hand I think the money would disappear into a swamp of corruption, cronyism and local political nepotism.
    You have serious issues

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You have serious issues
    And YOU just lost an argument!

Reductio ad hominum.

And YOU just lost an argument!

Reductio ad hominum.
    I wasn't aware of an argument. Unless you think "they like communists up north" is to be taken as an argument not a stupid joke?

There is a circular argument there. Why is so much tax paid in London? And of course the north does nothing but collect the dole. Then you will wonder why there is regional distrust (and I was born in and grew up in Royal Berkshire before moving to the dreaming spires of Oxford to work for 10 years before finally seeing the light and moving to God's Own Country).

The argument that because London is by far the richest area so pays more tax means that we should continue to pump most investment there is dubious.
    Boris seems to be very centrist as per this question following a speech in Manchester

https://youtu.be/_jbLzMEZNrw?t=2160

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Boris seems to be very centrist as per this question following a speech in Manchester

I got halfway through it because it was crashing. I liked what I heard but I would need details and action. For example it is fine saying the cities and regions should gain control but what about their budgets that have been slashed beyond the minimum? I heard a plan for high speed rail between Manchester and Leeds, great, but you continue down the same line and past Selby it is not even electrified. So currently they can't use the more modern trains on that route because the end bit of the transpennine route is stuck in the last century.This basic step has been promised for decades.

Boris is promising everything without explaining where the money is coming from or what the details are. When he says "decentralise" I am guessing, cynicism based on experience, he really means cut the funding from the centre.
    East_coast likes this.

I got halfway through it because it was crashing.

The link should of opened at the right time (2160 secs) for the Question from the MENs