Like Tree30Likes

BBC: Inside China's 'thought transformation' camps

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

And Beijing wonders why it's image is so problematic to the World...

East_coast likes this.

Wow...amazing stuff about the kids. But how did this group make it through the Cultural Revolution? Really, I thought all the minorities got brainwashed and had to learn Chinese back then...

Those areas are like ghost towns, super creepy...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    But how did this group make it through the Cultural Revolution? Really, I thought all the minorities got brainwashed and had to learn Chinese back then...
    You mean the Uyghurs? I think the cultural revolution was a kind of golden era for them - being left alone while the central parts of China self destructed...Xinjiang is a remote province, and they are still the majority there. Not by much now, but large scale Han settlement there is a recent phenomenon.

Chilling to hear that friendly woman on the train talk about the need for unity...
    MABinPengChau and hullexile like this.

Really? They were left alone during that time?? Wow...I thought everyone was "homogenized" during that time. Well, this is their "Cultural Revolution" and looks like they have pretty much been eradicated and all their kids are being taught that they are "Chinese."

On a side note, video shows refugees being taken in by Turkey. Turkey seems to really step up to the plate in taking in refugees, I know there are issues in that many refugees can't get work permits and such but they seems to do a lot for Muslim refugees...

Just a question of time and we will have harmonizing camps for HK people.

I still can't get my head around them letting a foreign journalist in with cameras. I wonder how high up that decision was made? I guess if you are used to dealing with State journalists you don't think anything can go wrong.

https://twitter.com/Muge_Niu/status/1145139601885061122

As someone who grew up in Xinjiang, still have family there, and work in journalism, I’m frustrated and furious about the way the @vicenews piece was done. The producer could have blurred the faces/obscure the voice of the woman on the train, the girl, the men on the street, etc.
    Also https://twitter.com/jgriffiths/statu...20091835768832

37 countries including the below commend China on Human Rights in Xinjiang

Saudi Arabia
    Russia
    North Korea,
    Venezuela,
    Cuba,
    Belarus,
    Myanmar,
    the Philippines,
    Syria,
    Pakistan,
    Oman,
    Kuwait,
    Qatar,
    the United Arab Emirates
    Bahrain
    Nigeria,
    Algeria
    Myanmar,
    Zimbabwe

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...etter-11716668

Looking at this rogues gallery of names on human rights not sure that helps

Britain, France and America behaved this way in their colonies in the not-so-distant past.

We can tell China that it's horrible, but given China's engagements with foreigners over the last 200 years, we shouldn't be too surprised if they don't trust what we say.

Oppression on this scale doesn't work and of course actually makes things worse, and that's what will cause China to stop doing it in the long run, but China will need to work that out for herself. UN letters probably only strengthen internal resolve to keep on going in the face of international disapproval.