Like Tree20Likes

2019 US Democratic Presidential Candidate Debates

Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    28,714

    2019 US Democratic Presidential Candidate Debates

    My takeaways....

    - Refreshing to hear eloquent thoughts. Thoughts that take a paragraph to explain. People who can speak in paragraphs and not trip over.
    - Two auditions in progress, Presidential ticket and VP ticket

    Impressed with:

    Presidential - Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris and Bernie (the better of the two grandpa candidates.. and you gotta give it to him!)
    VP - Buttigieg & Castro

    spode likes this.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,761

    Not a fan of forgiving student loans- I think it can all be restructured as a percent of current income up to a max of some percent (10 percent maybe, I don't know the right number). I believe that is how it is done in the UK. And then some maximum period of repayment (maybe 30 years, like a mortgage) after which it is forgiven. More lenient rules for discharge in bankruptcy, other strong modifications. Outright forgiveness, no. Unless they want to give a 30k credit for education to every 18 year old...(hey why not compensate me 30k for the amount I paid out of pocket for my daughter's education?? She went to the UK in part to avoid big student loans...).


  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    20,212
    Quote Originally Posted by shri
    My takeaways....

    - Refreshing to hear eloquent thoughts. Thoughts that take a paragraph to explain. People who can speak in paragraphs and not trip over.
    - Two auditions in progress, Presidential ticket and VP ticket

    Impressed with:

    Presidential - Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris and Bernie (the better of the two grandpa candidates.. and you gotta give it to him!)
    VP - Buttigieg & Castro
    While this hurts me to say it, compare the calibre of those listed to Boris and Hunt.
    Coolboy likes this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,929
    Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    Not a fan of forgiving student loans- I think it can all be restructured as a percent of current income up to a max of some percent (10 percent maybe, I don't know the right number). I believe that is how it is done in the UK. And then some maximum period of repayment (maybe 30 years, like a mortgage) after which it is forgiven. More lenient rules for discharge in bankruptcy, other strong modifications. Outright forgiveness, no. Unless they want to give a 30k credit for education to every 18 year old...(hey why not compensate me 30k for the amount I paid out of pocket for my daughter's education?? She went to the UK in part to avoid big student loans...).
    Not really related to the debate, but if your studies never make you enough money to repay your student loans you might have been better off not studying. Studying useless shit just to have a Bachelor from some University in the sticks is a bad investment, why should tax payers bail you out?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    28,714
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    While this hurts me to say it, compare the calibre of those listed to Boris and Hunt.
    Karma is getting even with the Brits.
    hullexile and spode like this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    28,714
    why should tax payers bail you out?
    I am ambivalent about the whole forgive the loan thing - BUT the same argument could be used with banks / car manufacturers / governments of entire countries that have been "bailed out" financially. Either directly or indirectly severe financial levers have had to be pulled to prevent socio-economic disasters.
    mrgoodkat and spode like this.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    20,212
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    Not really related to the debate, but if your studies never make you enough money to repay your student loans you might have been better off not studying. Studying useless shit just to have a Bachelor from some University in the sticks is a bad investment, why should tax payers bail you out?
    They might be working in socially useful jobs that don't give high financial rewards. They may decide to be a stay at home parent who puts their education to use in raising a child who becomes the scientist who saves the world.
    spode likes this.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,685

    If we are just going to throw around cash to get rid of debt why do people with college degrees (and hence more potential to pay it off) deserve it more than those without degrees and work low paying jobs? Also we are talking about people who got into massive debt to go to their "dream" ivy league private university. There are plenty of other universities they could have chosen, state colleges are not expensive.

    mrgoodkat likes this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,685

    Kamala Harris is probably going to be the nominee after all of the dust settles I reckon. Warren will be the one they first try to push though.

    The media has been really going after Biden lately because they know he is toxic, they want him out so they are trying to quiet his support down. Bernie is too crazy. Warren's views are too crazy but she comes off as less crazy so she has more support than she should.


  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,929
    Quote Originally Posted by methosb
    Kamala Harris is probably going to be the nominee after all of the dust settles I reckon. Warren will be the one they first try to push though.

    The media has been really going after Biden lately because they know he is toxic, they want him out so they are trying to quiet his support down. Bernie is too crazy. Warren's views are too crazy but she comes off as less crazy so she has more support than she should.
    Warren 2020, the first native American president
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast