Like Tree16Likes

Death bed regrets

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Death bed regrets

An Australian palliative care nurse working in the Philippines said that the most common regrets of her dying patients were:

- not living a life true to themselves but rather what others expected of them

- working too hard (at the expense of family time)

- not having the courage to express their feelings

- not staying in touch with their friends enough

- not letting themselves be happier

The time to deal with these regrets is before you get to your death bed.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    An Australian palliative care nurse working in the Philippines said that the most common regrets of her dying patients were:

Hope you're O.K. Very sombre for a Monday AM

I guess this is the type of stuff you don't think about enough until it's too late.

I think that is something that you will regret no matter how well you've lived your life. You can always be happier, work less, have more family or friends around you.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I think that is something that you will regret no matter how well you've lived your life. You can always be happier, work less, have more family or friends around you.
    Agreed but perhaps there is the opportunity to change priorities to maximise happiness? However I don't think you often know how things will turn out. I have tended to make major decisions in a spontaneous, intuitive manner. Mostly worked out and at least I have had an interesting life .
    MABinPengChau and Coolboy like this.

I've always liked this quote:

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Coolboy, TheBrit and hullexile like this.

Towards the end of his life, Sir John Betjeman was asked if he had any regrets.
    "
    Yes. Not enough sex".

I'd really regret not working harder if the quality of my healthcare depended on my income and I was maybe dying because I couldn't afford better health attention.

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    I'd really regret not working harder if the quality of my healthcare depended on my income and I was maybe dying because I couldn't afford better health attention.
    In America, that would be the case. But in other states with a more comprehensive healthcare system, then maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    But would those extra years be worth it if you were never at home to see your kids? Life is full of decisions and we probably won't know if we made the right ones

But would those extra years be worth it if you were never at home to see your kids? Life is full of decisions and we probably won't know if we made the right ones

At home waiting to die from a curable disease that costs an arm and a leg to cure, yes all that time with family would be really worth it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast