Mumbai Terrorist Attacks

Reply
Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast
  1. #101

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,939

    I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I love the idea in theory, I just don't think it works in practise and that we do need to modify our behaviours to take account of who the enemy is and what they are prepared to do to "win" [Actually I hate the use of the term "war on terror" - I think it gives the terrorists the legitimacy of an army which is crap, but there you go].


  2. #102

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Park Island
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I love the idea in theory, I just don't think it works in practise and that we do need to modify our behaviours to take account of who the enemy is and what they are prepared to do to "win" [Actually I hate the use of the term "war on terror" - I think it gives the terrorists the legitimacy of an army which is crap, but there you go].
    Yep, agree to disagree I think!

    Don't get me wrong, I share the frustrations of the inadequacy of legal systems to effectively deal with the terrorists, but I also believe that the law needs to be adhered to if the interests of the individual - who ever they may be - are to have any long term protection...a world governed by a collection of police states handing out arbitary justice on a mandate based upon fear is would not be much fun for anybody...

    I do like your reference to long established legal principals etc as ' i love the idea in theory..' I assure you, my last 10posts aren't the subject of my imagination

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    40,446
    Mumbai attacks: Taj Hotel hostages rescued-Mumbai-Cities-The Times of India

    MUMBAI: Security forces on Thursday prepared to launch an assault to flush out terrorists from two luxury hotels - Taj and Trident (Oberoi) - where a couple of 100 people are believed to be either held hostage or trapped in the most audacious terror attacks that have claimed over 100 lives and left over 300 injured in India's financial capital Mumbai.

    At least four terrorists are holed up in the Taj Hotel where 40 to 50 guests were still trapped, a senior army officer said here today.

    "In this area there are four to five terrorists," Major R K Hooda, General Officer Commanding of Maharashtra, Goa and Gujarat said. There are an estimated 40 to 50 guests still trapped in the hotel, he said.

    There were multiple explosions and gunfire at the Taj Hotel in south Mumbai in the wee hours and NSG commandos have launched an operation to flush out the ultras. Many of those trapped in the hotel since last night were rescued early this morning.

    There can be 10 to 12 terrorists involved in the terror attack at a hotel in Mumbai, Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister R R Patil said today. Five of them have been killed and one of them arrested, he told reporters outside the hotel as security forces prepared to launch an assault to end the terror.

    Patil said he was not sure about the exact number of hostages in the hotel where commandos of NSG and Mumbai Police were involved in the operation.

    He said they have not received any demands from militants and hoped that a breakthrough will be achieved soon. Patil said the operation was delicate in view of the safety of the hostages. He claimed police have got some leads but declined to elaborate.
    Looks like the hostages have been "rescued" ... the blame game can now start.

  4. #104

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,939
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    I do like your reference to long established legal principals etc as ' i love the idea in theory..' I assure you, my last 10posts aren't the subject of my imagination
    I refer to it as "theory" on the basis that the "practise" appears to be that we DO use torture in interrogation, irrespective of the laws against it....

  5. #105

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Park Island
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I refer to it as "theory" on the basis that the "practise" appears to be that we DO use torture in interrogation, irrespective of the laws against it....
    well yes, which comes back to my point about the enforcement of international law. Also one of my earlier points that democracies are based upon abidence to rules and being ruled by them rather than arbitary actions of authorities, which makes 'the war on terror' (i too dislike the phrase) in the name of democracy and freedom, somewhat a hypocritical farse if it is carried out without accordance to established rules...you can see where I'm coming from here i'm sure...(?)

  6. #106

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Bay Road
    Posts
    5,658
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Mumbai attacks: Taj Hotel hostages rescued-Mumbai-Cities-The Times of India



    Looks like the hostages have been "rescued" ... the blame game can now start.
    Not just the blame game, but, also how to let those terrorists get away without coming much harm to them. This is what the govt. will try. Can not forget the Afzal Guru incident...

  7. #107

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Park Island
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    No one would torture an innocent person right?

    I will assume that even the people in favour (to any extent) of tortue, wouldn't do so. Therefore, you can only be in favour of torture if that person is guilty...now bearing in mind that all people are innocent until proven guilty, to reach the stage whereby somebody 'deserves torture' then, in order to avoid torturing an innocent person, there must already other substantial evidence that has led, or will lead, to the establishment of guilt...in which case there is no need for torture as the guilt has already been established...

    In response to the red dot with the comment 'oh my god what to say' -fair enough, entitled to your opinion, not complaining about it - but I am interested as to what you disagree with here? the point that it is not ok to torture innocent people? or something else that I have somehow suggested - because as far as I can see, certainly as far as I intended, I have simply argued that against the notion of tortue being used to establish guilt...

  8. #108

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southside
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I love the idea in theory, I just don't think it works in practise and that we do need to modify our behaviours to take account of who the enemy is and what they are prepared to do to "win"
    There are only a few people on this board that seem to live in the real world, Movingin07, gunsnroses and climber.. most of the rest are dreaming. Some of you have noble thoughts but they're not going to get us anywhere and they're not going to protect people.

    I can't remember who it was (climber perhaps) that said that we need to treat the real causes of terrorism so as to not have to resort to torture. This is absolutely spot on. I believe the way to do this is not through enforcing democracy on countries that are not ready for it but by helping them make education more available, helping people set up small businesses so they have hope in their lives and failing that give them free tv's and cable access so they spend their time watching Desperate Housewives rather than listening to zealots that preach hatred of the Western world.

  9. #109

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Bay Road
    Posts
    5,658

    The commandoes just moved in...3 explosions have been heard..
    All d best n Jai Hind...


  10. #110

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,939
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    In response to the red dot with the comment 'oh my god what to say' -fair enough, entitled to your opinion, not complaining about it - but I am interested as to what you disagree with here? the point that it is not ok to torture innocent people? or something else that I have somehow suggested - because as far as I can see, certainly as far as I intended, I have simply argued that against the notion of tortue being used to establish guilt...
    Not me - I may not agree with everything you say but I support your right to say it free of blobbing! I thought it was a pretty good debate actually. Pity it was triggered by such a horrific event.

Reply
Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast