Mumbai Terrorist Attacks

Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Not me - I may not agree with everything you say but I support your right to say it free of blobbing! I thought it was a pretty good debate actually. Pity it was triggered by such a horrific event.
    yes my sentiments exaclty, it is a great shame that a good discussion is on the back of a tradegy. I'm not bothered by the red blobbing - enough green ones to cancell them out anyway! It's just a bit frustrating as you can't then debate the point - as has been done in this thread - in a reasonably intelligent way...

The red blobs are usually a better reflector of the intelligence of the blobber than the blobbee....

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    Apart from the obvious humanitarian reasons why torture in any form is unacceptable, it is well proven to be unreliable and thus ineffective in obtaining information as the subject will say anything, including 'confessing' to acts of which he or she has never committed in order to stop the torture.

The sooner the US starts complying with the Geneva Convention the better...
    tell that to Jack Bauer....so far he's had fantastic results!

Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    tell that to Jack Bauer....so far he's had fantastic results!
    Yes thankfully he's able to make the hard decisions in life. Imagine where LA would be without him

But seriously, my husband stayed at the Oberoi only a few weeks ago. It was his company's hotel of choice in Mumbai and their India office was located in the hotel until only a few months ago. He bought my engagement ring from the jewellery shop in the Taj Mahal and is good friends with the owner. I just hope he and his family are ok. This will effect people we know. It is a tragic and scary day and the people involved deserve the death penalty not just some slap on the wrist with a meal provided three times a day.

fm7

I'm stunned. We lived in India for three years, the area where this happened is familiar to us, we know people are there (but thankfully are safe). Shocking.

It is a horrible and shocking tragedy that affects a lot of innocent people and families.

However, to suggest that torture in response is the right thing to do is to make the torturers no better than the pukes who'd do this sort of thing in the first place.

I met a prison guard years back who was on duty the day of the last hanging in British Columbia. He said if any thinking person saw what he saw they'd have no part in it. In those days Canadians were deadlocked 50-50 on capital punishment. His answer was then those who are in favour of it should have to do the hanging and the witnessing and let people like him do something else.

I agree with Daniel and Hayley on what the rule of law means. If you want barbarism then terrorism should be fine too.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Mumbai attacks: Taj Hotel hostages rescued-Mumbai-Cities-The Times of India

Looks like the hostages have been "rescued" ... the blame game can now start.
    Not at the Oberoi/Trident complex though. Our co has a guy stuck in there, not as a hostage taken though.

Wonder why along with going after foreigners (Taj, Oberoi, Leopold) they chose to target VT station? That to me was the most heart-rending scene with the poor common people, children included, bearing the brunt of it.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Look Football I just don't agree. If there is irrefutable proof, say video footage of one of these gunmen taking someone's life he should be killed. Why put someone in prison who you have no intention of rehabilitating? If you take someone's life you should lose yours.

Let's not have a stupid discussion on what constitutes proof and how 'innocent' people are put to death. I've said 'irrefutable proof', video evidence etc.

As for your friend being involved in hangings, well I say pay the people who have to do it even just 25% of what it would cost to incarcerate these people for life and you'll have plenty of volonteers. It's not a nice job but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Last edited by aussiegal; 28-11-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    well I say pay the people who have to do it even just 25% of what it would cost to incarcerate these people for life and you'll have plenty of volonteers.
    Oh dear. Amongst the very many stupid things you have said this takes the biscuit.

Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast