Mumbai Terrorist Attacks

Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast

ANALYSIS: BLAME PAKISTAN

ANALYSIS: BLAME PAKISTAN

Mike Blanchfield , Canwest News Service

Published: Thursday, November 27, 2008

In the aftermath of the unprecedented terrorist attack on Mumbai, a familiar refrain emerged: Blame Pakistan….

Though nobody can say yet where Mumbai's attackers came from, a strong circumstantial case is emerging that Wednesday's well co-ordinated assault had its origin in the lawless tribal region of western Pakistan, where al-Qaida and Taliban militants enjoy a safe haven - and from where they continue to pose a threat to the Canadian Forces and their NATO allies in Afghanistan.

Wednesday's attacks are another manifestation of the deep fault lines of instability that run under south and Central Asia and the massive upheaval they cause: from the continuing carnage in Afghanistan to the decades-long conflict between the nuclear powers India and Pakistan over the disputed Kashmir territory, a battle that has played itself out in a proxy war in Afghanistan….

"This is several counter-terrorism nightmares, all combined in a single attack. It's not a homegrown attack. Homegrown terrorists start with Molotov cocktails and vandalism, not with something as sophisticated as this," said John Thompson, president of Canada's Mackenzie Institute security think-tank….

All of that points to the Taliban/al-Qaida sanctuary of Pakistan, which has benefited from international financing backing to supply everything from small arms to more sophisticated Improvised Explosive Devices to use against the thickening armour of the NATO-led forces, as well as an influx of foreign jihadists from various Arab countries and Chechnya.

Indian authorities also found a boat loaded with weapons that many now think brought the attackers by sea from Pakistan.
    But the real harbinger of Wednesday's mayhem was the July attack on the Indian Embassy in Kabul, which left 54 dead. The U.S. blamed Pakistan's powerful spy agency, Inter-Services Intelligence, which has a history of backing the Taliban.

"In recent decades, Indo-Pakistan hostility has mainly revolved around the Kashmir dispute," Walter K. Anderson, a South Asia expert with the School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University, recently wrote….

"It is Afghanistan, however, that constitutes the new battleground on which Indo-Pakistani hostility is playing out."
    Wednesday assault on luxury hotels, restaurants and foreigners - Westerners, essentially, including two Canadians caught in the crossfire - is all to similar to the ideologically-driven al-Qaida attacks of recent years that targeted Westerners in a beach club in Bali and on the Madrid, Spain transit system.

In this context, it is not surprising that India is becoming a favoured country for jihadists as well, said Thompson.

"It's a country that is becoming more and more prosperous while the Islamic world isn't. It's a country that's becoming increasingly aligned with the Western world."

I like the way that they infer that it was an Al Qaeda or Taliban assault by mentioning them a few times but without saying they were involved.
    Keep the fear levels high and don't worry about objective journalism!

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    Look Football I just don't agree. If there is irrefutable proof, say video footage of one of these gunmen taking someone's life he should be killed. Why put someone in prison who you have no intention of rehabilitating? If you take someone's life you should lose yours.

Let's not have a stupid discussion on what constitutes proof and how 'innocent' people are put to death. I've said 'irrefutable proof', video evidence etc.

As for your friend being involved in hangings, well I say pay the people who have to do it even just 25% of what it would cost to incarcerate these people for life and you'll have plenty of volonteers. It's not a nice job but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.
    Hear hear....

All those ppl who are directly or indirectly supporting these dastardly acts of terrorists, well I want to tell you one simple thing, its easy and not a big deal to take high road while you are sitting here securely and in comfort. If God forbid, its you or your near/dear ones were taken as hostages you'd have sang an entirely different tune. So please stop this bullshit. I am sick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Hear hear....
    ...so if there is not irrefutable proof such as a video of them doing it?

All those ppl who are directly or indirectly supporting these dastardly acts of terrorists, well I want to tell you one simple thing, its easy and not a big deal to take high road while you are sitting here securely and in comfort. If God forbid, its you or your near/dear ones were taken as hostages you'd have sang an entirely different tune. So please stop this bullshit. I am sick of it.
    You are out of line there gunsnroses. Provide one example on here where anyone has supported these acts of terrorism. Just saying we do not think they should be tortured or executed does not in any way or form constitute support.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You are out of line there gunsnroses. Provide one example on here where anyone has supported these acts of terrorism. Just saying we do not think they should be tortured or executed does not in any way or form constitute support.
    I am sorry, but When you say no country should have stringent laws or capital punishment or any way to gather information...in short be able to provide security to its citizens, and thus consequently no fear in the minds of those 'poor' terrorists. When they are not afraid of any consequences of their actions, no punishment, no pain, no death, then they'd keep on coming up with such daring acts.
    I am pretty anti-USA (my american friends know that too), but, why they haven't had a single terrorist attack after 9/11? Because they made sure that its not repeated. Their countrymen must feel very safe and secure now, unlike Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    ...so if there is not irrefutable proof such as a video of them doing it?
    Only video doesn't constitute of irrefutable proof, I believe there are other measures too. Once the law has been fully convinced of their heinous acts...then what needs to be done, should be done...

???
    First of all nobody here supported terrorists...it is one thing to say that we do not support death penalty and another to say that we support terrorists....

Second of all, most - if not all members here - know of people who are living there (myself included, our Mumbai office being close by) and are affected by this situation.

That said, correcting violence with more violence will bring what?

I am sorry, but When you say no country should have stringent laws or capital punishment or any way to gather information...in short be able to provide security to its citizens, and thus consequently no fear in the minds of those 'poor' terrorists. When they are not afraid of any consequences of their actions, no punishment, no pain, no death, then they'd keep on coming up with such daring acts.
    I am pretty anti-USA (my american friends know that too), but, why they haven't had a single terrorist attack after 9/11? Because they made sure that its not repeated. Their countrymen must feel very safe and secure now, unlike Indians.
    I don't think anyone said there should be no stringent laws or any way to gather information or no punishment. Do you really think the fear of the death penalty would put off a suicide bomber? How exactly? If you are prepared to strap explosives to yourself and then blow them up I hardly think being hanged is a concern, in fact they would glory in another martyr.

Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast