Mumbai Terrorist Attacks

Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 40 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    yes indeed. I have noticed that in US films and tv programmes the baddies are rarely captured but nearly always killed. It's about time they moved on from the wild west days. Perhaps the UK cops could wear green tights and use bows and arrows as per Robin Hood.
    Ooh no, health and safety would have a field day..

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    How do you know, the information you extract from them is correct?
    depends on how high their pain threshold is.....everyone gives in eventually.

Let's face it, expert interrogators can and WILL get the information they want. There's no denying they have various means and methods for them at their disposal.

Waterboarding, electrocution, etc...are only the tip of the iceberg here. There are even more effective (dare I say, even sinister) ways of extracting information. As Freeier said earlier,...those that encounter a high-degree of success with these methods won't necessarily reveal how they do it.

I don't condone torture, but let's look at the reality of the situation and examine each case's merits differently. If it is required under exceptional circumstances then I am all for it, for the greater good and for eliminating further damage and loss of life.

I love that so many people like to paint a scenario as unlikely or off topic if it actually raises serious questions about that person's previously stated opinions. Why can some people present scenarios and others can't?

Mat and Claire, what should we do then? Nothing? Do we just assume any information gleamed from a terrorist will be rubbish and so not even try to find out what they know?

Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    I don't condone torture, but let's look at the reality of the situation and examine each case's merits differently. If it is required under exceptional circumstances then I am all for it, for the greater good and for eliminating further damage and loss of life.
    Agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    Mat and Claire, what should we do then? Nothing? Do we just assume any information gleamed from a terrorist will be rubbish and so not even try to find out what they know?
    No but since you guys are always prone to show off how much in reality you are and how much we - the archmair dudes (I start to like it) - are in a fairytale, it is also fair to say that most terrorists with NOTHING to loose (most of the time that is the case) would rather die (and be a martyr) than give any information (or shall I say CORRECT information) to his torturer.

Hence the relative inefficiency of torture.

I love that so many people like to paint a scenario as unlikely or off topic if it actually raises serious questions about that person's previously stated opinions. Why can some people present scenarios and others can't?

How have you proved that this person is a terrorist? Or are you implying that torture should be use as a punishment?

May be they'd prefer to let the information gleaned from terrorists proven right a few times and then think about taking some action...no not action, but, some more discussions...

Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    depends on how high their pain threshold is.....everyone gives in eventually.

Let's face it, expert interrogators can and WILL get the information they want. There's no denying they have various means and methods for them at their disposal.

Waterboarding, electrocution, etc...are only the tip of the iceberg here. There are even more effective (dare I say, even sinister) ways of extracting information. As Freeier said earlier,...those that encounter a high-degree of success with these methods won't necessarily reveal how they do it.

Well yes everyone will give in. Whether they tell the truth or not is another issue. And of course in the real example I gave earlier they had nothing to give but still gave lots of (false) information. You end up with a situation where you have masses of information but just don't know what is real and what isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    May be they'd prefer to let the information gleaned from terrorists proven right a few times and then think about taking some action...no not action, but, some more discussions...
    You're right. We (the armchairs...I'm with Mat on this, beginning to like the sound of it!) are simply horrible people for even considering that the torture of innocent people is not acceptable

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

"Given the many mechanisms for disengaging moral control, civilized life requires, in addition to humane personal standards, safeguards built into social systems that uphold compassionate behavior and renounce cruelty."

Moral Disengagement in the Perpetration of Inhumanities, Bandura A.: Personality and Social Psychology Review, Vol. 3, No. 3, 193-209 (1999)

Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 40 ... LastLast