Mumbai Terrorist Attacks

Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    Are we really that civilized? Has humanity really "evolved" that much? Sure we gained knowledge, and improved technology, but most of our key innovations over the past centuries have been derived out of finding new ways to kill or destroy each other.
    A 1556 woodcut depicting waterboarding. Not even a quantum leap have we made since then.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I don't necessarily agree with that...Terrorists are not all hard core, trained supermen. Look at the palestinian suicide bomber, they come in all shape and size and it's a very different thing to endure pain over several days compared to pushing a button and blowing yourself up.
    Agree and as I said, in my post not all...

Also usually the less hard Core, less trained ones, arent the one with the most/best information...

Just call me pragmatic but all you happy torturers who live in the real world...

Who does the torturing? Shall we set up torturing schools? Who warrants torture? Drug dealers? Murderers? Kidnappers? Pedophiles? Or are terrorists just the special ones? Would police get to do it or do we have a special torture squad? Only foreign citizens or anyone gets treated equally? Do we do it both at home and abroad? Do we get torture warrants or we keep this behind closed doors? Will any representation be provided to detainees or they forfeit all rights? In which case, who determines the evidence and degree of guilt?

I don't know sitting in my armchair and having all these fairytale questions swimming in my head...What would you people living in the real world do? Case by case? Who gets to determine that case? Seargeant, lieutenant? captain? General? Anyone accountable if the prisoner dies accidentally?

Well it's a war out there... extraordinary measures have to be taken. Look at the thousands and thousands who die every year from those vilainous terrorists...Worldwide about 20 000 or so and just in the US there are about 10 000 murders from regular crime per year and about 14 000 from alcohol related accidents. Now you tell me which is the bigger problem?

Let's spend a trillion dollar to combat terrorism, abolish rights and liberties and we'll spare a couple of million to combat drunk driving and maybe we'll put a few in jail for a few months!

My goodness it all makes sense now!

Torture or not?

As we've stumbled into a philosophical discussion on torture in civilized society, I have a quick question.....

By most definitions, Rape is considered torture.

Given scenario:

Maximum Security Prison - General Population

A judge sentences a criminal (let's say a small build heterosexual male) to a life in prison (condemned to serving this sentence in GenPop). The judge fully knows that the Prison System does not have enough resources to protect this person against other "residents". Knowing that this inmate will likely endure a prolonged exposure to torture, does this example also demonstrates "State Sponsored Torture"? How does everyone here who is against torture react to this situation?

Given the severe psychological and in many cases physical damage incurred by the victims of rape (female or male), isn't is almost more humane to execute someone than willfully expose them to those conditions?

I'm just curious.....

Sure we gained knowledge, and improved technology, but most of our key innovations over the past centuries have been derived out of finding new ways to kill or destroy each other.
    Really? Like what apart from nuclear power? Space exploration was given to a separate agency, all the medical advances are related to money. I don't remember the Wright brothers being soldiers? How about Ford? Electricity was invented to torture? The telephone? To better communicate with soldiers? The internet? So what are most of these innovations you talk about?

As we've stumbled into a philosophical discussion on torture in civilized society, I have a quick question.....

By most definitions, Rape is considered torture.

Given scenario:

Maximum Security Prison - General Population

A judge sentences a criminal (let's say a small build heterosexual male) to a life in prison (condemned to serving this sentence in GenPop). The judge fully knows that the Prison System does not have enough resources to protect this person against other "residents". Knowing that this inmate will likely endure a prolonged exposure to torture, does this example also demonstrates "State Sponsored Torture"? How does everyone here who is against torture react to this situation?

Given the severe psychological and in many cases physical damage incurred by the victims of rape (female or male), isn't is almost more humane to execute someone than willfully expose them to those conditions?

I'm just curious.....
    Hmmm....may be we should build Co-inmates jails now...no?

Fictitous examples aside, i'm still waiting for an example of a proven torture session that led to the arrest of a futur terrorist attack.

Knowing that this inmate will likely endure a prolonged exposure to torture, does this example also demonstrates "State Sponsored Torture"? How does everyone here who is against torture react to this situation?
    That's just plain silly...

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Fictitous examples aside, i'm still waiting for an example of a proven torture session that led to the arrest of a futur terrorist attack.
    You will wait for long because of course the US government doesn't admit it is torturing people. So even if they stopped a terrorist attack because of information gathered through torture, they wouldn't tell us.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Quote Originally Posted by pinko:
    You will wait for long because of course the US government doesn't admit it is torturing people. So even if they stopped a terrorist attack because of information gathered through torture, they wouldn't tell us.
    For someone who's considered a troll,...you've made a surprisingly good point here! LOL!

Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast