Mumbai Terrorist Attacks

Reply
Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
  1. #381

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,586

    Thanks D&H, avoided me the trouble.

    As far as I know Israel is far from being heaven on earth, so tell me how Torturing people has help into making the country safer?

    Last edited by Mat; 03-12-2008 at 02:34 PM.

  2. #382

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sheung Wan
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    so those numbers meant,

    1. since israelis are fairly successful against terrorist acts in their country (no impression of large iconic attacks against israelis in the last few years)
    Waw!! fairly successful?? Have you ever been to Israel? There is a permanent fear about terrorist attacks there!!
    And one attack/month is not what I call a good number...
    Major Terrorist Attacks in Israel

  3. #383

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    I'm sure Mat is capable of answering him self but...

    I don't really see a solution to the Israel/Palestine problems forthcoming anytime soon...and there has been nothing but conflict since it's creation...so how has torture ultimately succeeded?
    Come on D&H,...we know the root causes for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict are deeper than most people can imagine. There are fundamental differences in territorial claims and not to mention the historical (even biblical?) standpoint on which most of these claims are based. The terrorism came much later, courtesy of Mr. Arafat and his PLO. Long-term problems need long-term solutions that address these differences. This doesn't qualify as a an example to tie this to the issue of terrorism and torture.

  4. #384

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    1,328

    I'm really curious, what our English friends think of their old Camp 020, which proved crucial in delivering some key WWII intelligence.

    Additionally I wonder if torture is so ineffective, how come the members of the French Resistance provided the addresses and names of their family and friends to the Nazis, knowing they would face certain death...or worse.

    Too bad gilles, isn't posting anymore....I miss his razor sharp wit, and the fact that no one has called me Einstein, Mr. Genius or Genghis in over 2 pages......Very sad..


  5. #385

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    25,711
    Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    so those numbers meant,

    1. since israelis are fairly successful against terrorist acts in their country (no impression of large iconic attacks against israelis in the last few years)

    2. since israelis have managed to kill quite a few of their adversaries

    it implies that the torturing as quoted (i.e. 90 cases) are useful in providing them with information that aid their battle against one of the most aggressive terrorists in the world..

    so now its up to mat to prove to us why torturing in israel failed ?
    I think that could be an own goal freeier.

    So Israel has reduced the amount of torturing it does (from 85% of Palestinian prisoners to a handful) and what happens to deaths in Israel by terrorism - yep the figure goes down (after 2003).

    So now in fairytale land and the band of armchair intellectuals we have:

    US generals
    Ex Chief Prosecutor at Guantanamo
    President-elect Obama
    Israeli Supreme Court

    On the torturing side we have:

    Climber
    Freeier
    Aussiegal
    Gunsnroses
    oh and G W Bush

    Tough call in terms of expertise, knowledge and intellect I know.

  6. #386

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    25,711
    Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    I'm really curious, what our English friends think of their old Camp 020, which proved crucial in delivering some key WWII intelligence.

    Additionally I wonder if torture is so ineffective, how come the members of the French Resistance provided the addresses and names of their family and friends to the Nazis, knowing they would face certain death...or worse.

    Too bad gilles, isn't posting anymore....I miss his razor sharp wit, and the fact that no one has called me Einstein, Mr. Genius or Genghis in over 2 pages......Very sad..
    Well if you want to be associated with the Nazis.....not really what I would want for my country.

    If you are going to relate to UK history, then I think you should appreciate that we have endured decades of many many terrorist attacks. Strangely in that period America did not launch a war on terror but instead allowed its citizens to fund it. So we speak from experience on this topic.

  7. #387

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Park Island
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    Come on D&H,...we know the root causes for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict are deeper than most people can imagine. There are fundamental differences in territorial claims and not to mention the historical (even biblical?) standpoint on which most of these claims are based. The terrorism came much later, courtesy of Mr. Arafat and his PLO. Long-term problems need long-term solutions that address these differences. This doesn't qualify as a an example to tie this to the issue of terrorism and torture.
    Did I bring up Israel as an example? No

    Did I in anway imply that terrorism is the basis for the problem in Israel?
    No

    Did I imply that the torture of suspected terrorists has done nothing the solve the problems (which are the basis/reason for the terrorism)?
    Yes.

    Do I sound like Simon Cowel answering my own questions? Yes.

  8. #388

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    1,328
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I think that could be an own goal freeier.

    So Israel has reduced the amount of torturing it does (from 85% of Palestinian prisoners to a handful) and what happens to deaths in Israel by terrorism - yep the figure goes down (after 2003).

    So now in fairytale land and the band of armchair intellectuals we have:

    US generals
    Ex Chief Prosecutor at Guantanamo
    President-elect Obama
    Israeli Supreme Court

    On the torturing side we have:

    Climber
    Freeier
    Aussiegal
    Gunsnroses
    oh and G W Bush

    Tough call in terms of expertise, knowledge and intellect I know.
    You are more than welcome to continue the course of your ad hominem attacks but that does not prove your case. Naming a panel of "experts" who support your cause, does not make it valid or true.


    And while I encourage continued shots at our intelligence, I can tall you that my knowledge and experience stems directly from training, and direct blood-line connection to past and present members of 3 major global intelligence agencies.

  9. #389

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Park Island
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by climber07:


    And while I encourage continued shots at our intelligence, I can tall you that my knowledge and experience stems directly from training, and direct blood-line connection to past and present members of 3 major global intelligence agencies.

    So there Hull...you're a marked man. Are you sure you want to risk the happy hour drinks next week??


  10. #390

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    Did I bring up Israel as an example? No

    Did I in anway imply that terrorism is the basis for the problem in Israel?
    No

    Did I imply that the torture of suspected terrorists has done nothing the solve the problems (which are the basis/reason for the terrorism)?
    Yes.

    Do I sound like Simon Cowel answering my own questions? Yes.

    >>>Israel as an example?

    Ok, maybe you didn't but you did comment on it, and for which I am giving you a reply based on your comment.

    >>>Imply terrorism as a basis of the problem

    again...see above answer.

    >>> torture has done nothing to solve the problem?

    Maybe not, but it did eliminate a few of their more serious threats.

    >>> Simon Cowell?

    Dude,...can't help you there....

Reply
Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast