Mumbai Terrorist Attacks

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    As vmlinuz says. What would you hope to gain from torturing him? Revenge?
    Exactly.

He should be tried in accordance with the law, just like any other human being. Simple as that.

putting him away for the rest of his life will be torture enough. What would u want to do with aussiegal?

Sorry, wrong question. Of course once we have captured someone like Osama we try him in a court of law but say you have intelligence on an imminent terrorist attack, you catch someone 'suspected' of being involved. What do you then?

What would you have done if you had apprehended someone suspected of being involved in what is going on in Mumbai today, say you had caught him three days ago and knew an attack was imminent. 80 people are dead so far. What are their lives worth to you?

Last edited by aussiegal; 27-11-2008 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Bollocks. War on Terror is a very new concept developped mostly by US Media after 9/11.

We will never know but should the US have minded their own business and not tried to spread "Democracy" like the Catholic church tried to spread their religion a few centuries ago those Terrorists would have probably not grown up like mushrooms.

I like the US but their answer to 9/11 (and that include amongst other things the war in Iraq, water boarding...) has just made the world more violent and insecure....hence I rest my case, more violence will only bring more violence...not less.
    Currently we are discussing whats happened and happening in Mumbai. I don't know why India is under terrorists attack all the time when it has started no war against any country, ever..so the comparison with USA is entirly uncalled for..may be what happened in USA is because of what they did to Afghanistan and Iraq...

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    What should we do with Osama for example when he is captured?
    Given some tea and crumpets of course! Perhaps a massage would also be in order....We wouldn't want him to get stressed out before giving his testimony. Does a massage fall within Geneva conventions?

Quote Originally Posted by psjylife:
    So please stop teaching the world and be humble enough to learn from what other have learnt. Geneva Convention is one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by psjylife:
    How dare you think that you can be over the United Nations, take any action depending on YOUR intelligence (where are the weapons of mass destructions...)

I am not "teaching" the world. I did not start the "war on terror." I never supported the War on Iraq...or many US foreign relations policies. I also did not vote for G.W. Bush.

What I do know, is that United Nations is the most incompetent body ever created. Their words hold no strengths and their resolutions are pissed upon by one regime to the next. Why? Because they are never ENFORCED! EVER!

Ask the victims of Bosnia / Herzegovina genocide, ask the Georgians, ask the Chechens...... how well the United Nations or Geneva conventions helped them. How many people have to die before world opens their eyes and stops appeasing murderers? How many? How many more holocausts will there be? When will the world finally get enough courage to punish the wicked BEFORE its too late???

And to answer someone's earlier question....I define an "extremist" as someone who blows up a bus, a hotel, opens fire on civilians, murders innocent and unarmed people. And in many (but definitely not all) cases does so because his only source of education came in a form of a religious doctrine.

Sorry, wrong question. Of course once we have captured someone like Osama we try him in a court of law but say you have intelligence on an imminent terrorist attack, you catch someone 'suspected' of being involved. What do you then?
    Well firstly the intelligence will probably be wrong. You question him or her and question them hard. You do not use torture. If he is innocent then the state is just as bad as the terrorists. What do terrorists do? They kill and terrorise innocent people hence their name.

Okay, I know, public forum and such, everyone entitled to their own opinions.

That said-
    Climber- you embarrass me. And for everyone running down the US (clearly, I'm American)- remember that the US is deeply divided about many things, especially our role in the world. For years and years, at least 1/2 the country has felt the government did not speak for them on most topics.
    Try to keep in mind that there are individuals behind each country-wide stereotype. It would be so easy to believe that all French people are snobby and smelly, all Middle Easterners are religious fanatics, all Chinese-made products are dangerous, and all Australians are great at sport, but not that smart. Its just not true, and to put such vitriol out into the world shows your own ignorance, and perpetrates the divisiveness.

My heart goes out to those touched by the Mumbai attacks.

I find it incrediable that any right minded person can be in favour of torture (or the death sentance for that matter) and I am no 'liberal hippy' - far from it, but..

Taking a stance that bin laden, or whoever else, should be tortured and/or executed because of his [alleged] crimes, is both simplistic and hypocritical. The argument that "well he did it to us, so we'll do it back" just doesn't work...the acts of terrorism are commited by people with hatred towards their intended victims, this hatred is vented in the act of terror...the suggestion to punish these people with violence implies that the act of vioilence (tortue, execution) in itself is acceptable. So the only difference is that one 'side' has the right to use violent measures to protect it's believes and the other doesn't...

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    And to answer someone's earlier question....I define an "extremist" as someone who blows up a bus, a hotel, opens fire on civilians, murders innocent and unarmed people.
    Well that's the US (and many other) armed forces then.

Reminds me of watching 24. What would Jack Bauer do?

But think about Guantanamo Bay: would you torture some guys to get information? How would you know that the information are correct? Would you caution breaking the law and any Human Rights convention?

I guess the debate is as simple as this question: "Are you willing to breach the Human Rights to fight against terrorism"

And for me, the answer is just like vmlinuz said "Prove that 'we' are better than 'them'."

So we don't become terrorist ourselves...

say you have intelligence on an imminent terrorist attack, you catch someone 'suspected' of being involved. What do you then?

What would you have done if you had apprehended someone suspected of being involved in what is going on in Mumbai today, say you had caught him three days ago and knew an attack was imminent. 80 people are dead so far. What are their lives worth to you?

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast